Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2016, 10:16   #31

Re: Which tools

Time.

Really.

When first starting out, many folks think they need to have the "be all done all" of everything.

OTOH, I found over the years that what I need "grew" as time went by. That was because I got better at reapirs, bought the tools I needed and BUILT UP my list of tools as I went.

That said, the link to older tools thread answers your question perfectly.

I keep my daily tools in my nav station in a kitchen drawer separator, so they are handy. I keep my electrical stuff in a Sears tool bag. I have a few drawers full of the rest.

Good luck, you can do it, but it don't happen overnight.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 10:58   #32

Boat: Nauticat 43

If you have the opportunity to do repairs yourself before you cast off any distance, you will learn exactly what you need. For example, needle nose pliers might work for pulling an impeller off, but an impeller puller made for the purpose might be much better.
Ded reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 12:43   #33

Boat: Hylas 49

an impact driver (the kind you hit with a hammer) is invaluable. Ball peen hammer is better than a claw hammer on a glass boat. Cordless screwdriver and/or drill. Inverter for Dremel and multitool. Extension cord too.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 13:38   #34

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I'd say that it definitely pays to put as much time & thought into what spares & consumables that you carry, as you do tools. Often times more, especially if you have uncommon types or brands of gear onboard. Or are going to be in an area where sourcing parts could be even just a little challenging. Plus all of us have our own favorite "go to" types of parts & materials, just as many of us do with beer preferences

The other key thing about having a good compliment of tools & spares onboard is that they allow you to do a lot more in terms of preventative maintenance. Which has lots of obvious benefits, like less gear breaking/equipment breakdowns. Especially the type which tends to occur when the stress level onboard is already high due to other circumstances, like during weather events, at night, etc.
And such maintenance helps you to keep abreast of the wear rates on gear, with resultingly similar perks.

Also, having a good compliment of tools & materials onboard gives you a lot more options when you want to build something, or modify an existing item to perform better. And I think that most sailors like to tinker with tools/their hands, & create things anyway. Including projects which make the boat more of a home, as well as easier to handle while using less energy on the part of the crew. So that some creations lend to multiple perks; safety, comfort, or beauty, etc. Such as good stowage for gear, that keeps things tidy, but lets you find item X in the dark, easily, every time.

So I rarely think of tools, & spares just from the perspective of fixing things.

Edit: My primary toolbox is a fairly standard sized, plastic, Home Depot special, which I picked up about the time I bought my first boat 25yrs ago. It holds 85% of my hand tools, & keeps them dry, & organized. The latter, thanks to the removable plastic tray in the top section. And it does this without scuffing the deck when topsides, & is immune to rust. Though my dad does think it a touch heavy at 35lbs +/-

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 13:47   #35

Boat: Sold Sigma 33 OOD some time ago, will be chartering in Turkey really soon

WD40
Ducttape
Tyraps
Old 25-10-2016, 05:26   #36

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The Plano ammo boxes are really excellent. I must have 20 of them on board.

Yep.

FWIW, my "electrical" box is a Plano (I think) fishing tackle box. Not especially waterproof like their ammo boxes, but it does OK and I keep it stored in the cabin...

But the main advantage is that it's got a bazillion little compartments. In this particular one, the top of the lid has a couple see-thru compartments that hold useful stuff (small tools)...

The top itself hinges and exposes a big single compartment for various stuff (multi-meter, two electrical pliers, wire cutter, tape, the small butane heat-shrink tool...)...

And then there are 4-5 thin drawers below all that, each sub-divided in a way that'd normally be used for different lures, sinkers, hooks, whatever. I've got one-each of these mostly dedicated to an assortment of fuses, terminals and connectors of various sorts, replacement light (LED) bulbs, and so forth.

When I'm doing an electrical project, I can usually get by with only stuff from that box... i.e., without having to rummage in any of the other tool boxes...

-Chris
Old 25-10-2016, 06:16   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
My Dad always said "There's not point in having tools I don't know how to use." ...
The point is that I (or someone) may not have the tool, but do know how to use it. They could help you, with your tool.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 11:27   #38

If I were at a starting point filling the tool box it would be a different story. The yard sales/garage sales/flea markets/swap meets would be the source of the tool collection as much as possible. Older the better and not abused.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote