Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2019, 14:41   #1

Which is better for Biaxial?

I want to use Biaxial as part of my re-fiberglassing the hull.
Does anyone know which resin is better for it? Epoxy or Polyester?

Cheers!
JBas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 14:46   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Which is better for Biaxial?

Biaxial with no mat sewn on is good with either, but I believe is more commonly used with epoxy. Biax with mat (usually called "1708") is a little difficult to wet out with epoxy, but wets out very easily with poly- or vinylester.
The 1708 gives you a more resin-rich product, which people are usually trying to avoid with epoxy construction.

I should add that you should determine what resin is right for the job first, based on budget and function, then pick a material to go with it.
Old 10-04-2019, 17:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Biaxial with no mat sewn on is good with either, but I believe is more commonly used with epoxy. Biax with mat (usually called "1708") is a little difficult to wet out with epoxy, but wets out very easily with poly- or vinylester.
The 1708 gives you a more resin-rich product, which people are usually trying to avoid with epoxy construction.

I should add that you should determine what resin is right for the job first, based on budget and function, then pick a material to go with it.
Just highlighting the bolded point from above. Mat usually (always?) has a binder that requires poly or vinyelster to appropriately dissolve. Definitely check with your supplier before using epoxy with mat.

And highlighting the second point, consider that a resin-rich layup is substantially weaker than a resin-appropriate layup. Always try to remove any excess resin from the layup before walking away. Never throw extra resin on a layup to "make it stronger" as it does the opposite. You want tightly packed sheets of glass with just enough resin....not resin soup with glass noodles floating in it.

If you don't have much glass experience and want to watch the world's first totally civilian astronaut and rocket ship designer show how hand layups should be done, check out the video:

https://youtu.be/p9GTYsNBiaE?t=2267

FWIW I'd use epoxy if it's a repair job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lean.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	189847  
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 17:18   #4

Thanks you two!! A lot of good information =)
Old 10-04-2019, 17:47   #5

Agree with all above and I use epoxy for almost all glass work, but keep in mind epoxy doesn’t like UV. So if it’s in the sun it will need paint.
Down East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 18:47   #6

Cheers!

If you guys know of any other tutorials of laying fiberglass on the hull- especially multi-layers, that would be great!
Old 10-04-2019, 18:54   #7

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

JBas-Are you fixing damaged structure or just trying to smooth over other repairs?
Old 10-04-2019, 18:57   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
Just highlighting the bolded point from above. Mat usually (always?) has a binder that requires poly or vinyelster to appropriately dissolve. Definitely check with your supplier before using epoxy with mat.
Because in 1708 the mat is sewn to the biax, they don't bother with binder, so epoxy can wet it out; it just soaks up a lot. Glass mat by itself certainly has binder, and ought not to be used with epoxy.
Old 10-04-2019, 19:38   #9

Biaxle fabric is much smoother than woven roving and holds less resin. It makes a much less resin Rich laminate. as far as using Matt with the epoxy you should check with your supplier. Some mats require styrene to break down the binder others do not and are fine to use with epoxy.. vinyl Ester cost less than epoxy and has a much better secondary bond strength 10 polyester. Secondary bond strength is very important for a repair
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 19:56   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Because in 1708 the mat is sewn to the biax, they don't bother with binder, so epoxy can wet it out; it just soaks up a lot. Glass mat by itself certainly has binder, and ought not to be used with epoxy.
+1 this info is correct: 1708 wets out perfectly with epoxy as well as polyester.

If this is for the underwater part of the hull then definitely use epoxy as it's a much better moisture barrier
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 20:21   #11

Am reparing the whole hull from lots of blisters I've removed. So need to fill in the craters that they have left behind, as well as apply 4-5 layers of fiberglass as I had to remove a lot of the "skin" off.

Am going to use polyester resin. And use mat and biaxial sheets. I just wanted to know about how biaxial behaves with polyester resin.
Old 10-04-2019, 23:17   #12

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Consider finishing the last or 2 last layers with vinylester , that will add some osmosis protection .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:26   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBas View Post
Am reparing the whole hull from lots of blisters I've removed. So need to fill in the craters that they have left behind, as well as apply 4-5 layers of fiberglass as I had to remove a lot of the "skin" off.

Am going to use polyester resin. And use mat and biaxial sheets. I just wanted to know about how biaxial behaves with polyester resin.
If you want to get a flavor of how woven cloth does with polyester resin, take a look at videos from professionals in the surfboard glassing industry:

If you want your noodle baked full epoxy vacuum bagged composite sandwich style:
https://vimeo.com/3950466

I have never laid cloth on the underside of a hull against gravity. I have done 'wet-outs' where the cloth is saturated on a flat surface with gravity and then rolled up and moved to the project, unrolled, and laminated.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:31   #14
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:

This^^. Regular mat requires polyester/vinylester resin, but not 1708. The thin mat is just enough to improve bonding between layers when laminating by hand (vs vacuum bagging). I've used both, hand and bagged.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:14   #15

Second video above s/b from the Nelson Factory: