Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2021, 07:40   #1

Boat: Morgan 33T
Which Bottom paint for fiberglass sailing boats

Hi all

I'm sure you guys talked about this stuff over the years but also things change over the years, so lets just update folks,
here, just write the name/brand of the paint, do not explain why it's best, it's best because it's your experience, we are looking for your personal experience let's see how many people will name same names.
Zathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 06:53   #2
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Which Bottom paint for fiberglass sailing boats

Nothing has changed in decades. The best anti fouling paints are still:

Hard- Petit Trinidad
Ablative- Interlux Micron 66
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 08:00   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Nothing has changed in decades. The best anti fouling paints are still:

Hard- Petit Trinidad
Ablative- Interlux Micron 66
Matt knows more about bottom paint than just about anybody I know, but I have to add a caveat to his recommendations.

When I had a boat in SF Bay Micron 66 was my go-to paint. I now sail from the Caribbean to the Canadian Maritimes, and sometimes find myself for extended times in water far more fresh than salt. Micron 66 is specifically counter indicated by the manufacturer for exposure to freshwater. The binder dissolves far too fast in freshwater.

Continuing with ablative paint, we have been using Seahawk Biocop with excellent results across a very wide range of conditions.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 08:03   #4
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
Matt knows more about bottom paint than just about anybody I know, but I have to add a caveat to his recommendations.

When I had a boat in SF Bay Micron 66 was my go-to paint. I now sail from the Caribbean to the Canadian Maritimes, and sometimes find myself for extended times in water far more fresh than salt. Micron 66 is specifically counter indicated by the manufacturer for exposure to freshwater. The binder dissolves far too fast in freshwater.

Continuing with ablative paint, we have been using Seahawk Biocop with excellent results across a very wide range of conditions.
I appreciate the kind words but the OP did ask for our own personal experiences, which is what I offered. But as in all things, YMMV.

BTW- I wouldn't wish any Sea Hawk anti fouling paint on an enemy. That you are pleased with yours is evidence that what works poorly in one region may be a good performer in another.
Old 16-07-2021, 08:25   #5

Boat: Camano 41

Micron CSC.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 08:33   #6

Boat: Tartan 3800

I use Micron Extra. @Fstbttms, I am curious about your experience with it. I understand that has copper content similar to Micron 66 but a different binder and the zinc pyrithione is replaced by butyl-N-cyclopropyl-6-(methylthio)-1,3,5-triazine (trade name "biolux"). It is suitable for fresh and salt water. It is unclear to me whether it is suitable for use when the hull will be scrubbed by a diver. As with any ablative paint there would be some loss of thickness with each scrubbing.

Interlux Ultra is the same biocides as Micron Extra but in a nonablative binder.

I am also curious as to how a boat owner should choose between hard and ablative paints. The advantage of ablative paints is that they don't accumulate and are easy to maintain by recoating with minimal sanding. What is the advantage of hard paints?
Old 16-07-2021, 08:42   #7
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I use Micron Extra. @Fstbttms, I am curious about your experience with it.
Not a fan. Too easily scrubbed off the hull.

Quote:
It is unclear to me whether it is suitable for use when the hull will be scrubbed by a diver. As with any ablative paint there would be some loss of thickness with each scrubbing.
True to a point but like any anti fouling paint, ablatives still need regular cleaning.

Quote:
What is the advantage of hard paints?
The primary advantage is a longer lifespan.
Old 16-07-2021, 08:45   #8

This has to be the longest discussed topic since fiberglass
EngineerRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 08:54   #9

Ask a few local boat owners what they use. Different waters, hot cold etc can make or break an antifouling. Your local chandler would also be of help.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 09:17   #10

"I know a guy" his main choice of bottom paint was latex... old wooden boat.. His reasoning was.. ya gotta pull it out once a a year anyway... why spend hundreds when your buddies have paint in their sheds...
arcticmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 14:34   #11

Boat: Taswell 43

We've been using Micron 66 for the past 12 years....sailing from Asia, to the Medd, and now the Caribb. But this off season(hurricane season) our hull has started showing "scaling" at the waterline and at a few other places. Interlux called it "corn flaking", and said it is due to fresh and/or brackish water exposure.....a local boat yard contractor in Puerto Rico claimed it could also be the result of a rain or fresh-water bath between coats?? At any rate, if you're sailing in fresh or brackish waters, Micron 66 is not for you! We're still trying to resolve the issue-short of completely stripping the hull. We've been in the NE Caribb for the past 7 seasons, hauled every hurricane season here in Puerto Rico, and have never seen this before......but there it is now! Local boatyard ctrs are recommending Seahawk Islands 77, FWIW.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 14:46   #12

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

since we started cruising we've been using altex # 5 and been pretty happy with it

however last slipping we used altex # 5 plus. improvement so far seems significant and worth the extra cost, but jury is still out for another year or so...

cheers,
Old 16-07-2021, 18:43   #13

Boat: O'Day 26

Definitely Pettit Trinidad for a hard bottom paint; costly but worth the price.
TideTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 20:59   #14

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TideTime View Post
Definitely Pettit Trinidad for a hard bottom paint; costly but worth the price.
I read that Trinidad had been discontinued due to it's active ingredient being banned. Can anyone confirm that?

I have been using Trinidad forever and was disappointed to read that.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 21:04   #15
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
I read that Trinidad had been discontinued due to it's active ingredient being banned. Can anyone confirm that?

I have been using Trinidad forever and was disappointed to read that.
There are four or five flavors of Trinidad. Only one of them (Trinidad SR) has been discontinued due to availability issues with its anti slime ingredient, Irgarol. The others are still available.

Tags
boat, bottom paint, fiberglass, paint, sail, sailing