Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2012, 14:26   #1

Where to Mount Propane Tanks

Have a center cockpit sailboat which does not have a propane locker. It had an old pressurized alcohol stove which I replaced with a Force 10 but where to put the propane. Mount on the stern rail? Deck mount in a LPG locker? I've been tearing out my hair trying to figure out the best way. Help!!!

Graydog
graydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 14:57   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Where to mount propane tanks

Deck mount in a box or bag is probably the most straightforward way.

If there is an outboard venting locker that you can convert, this would be the neat solution.

Design for two flasks - then you can run from number one while looking for a spot to swap or fill number two.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 15:29   #3

Stern pulpit with nice custom Sunbrella cover. BBQ nearby to connect to the spare tank.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 15:33   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i will be mounting my 2 bottles, both 5 gallon, on my taffrail. out of the way and away from boomville, no where near engine.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 15:43   #5

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Deck mount the propane tank, for sure. Propane lockers are just baiting disaster. I am also of the mind that the propane should be turned off manually at the valve after every use. I do not think that propane is dangerous on boats provided that you do away with all those "safety" nonsense products like solenoids, sniffers, flame failure shutoff thermocouples, etc. None of these failure-prone systems afford true safety, only lull the user into a false sense of security. The best safety measure is to appreciate the dangers involved and act accordingly.
Old 30-06-2012, 17:20   #6

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Deck mount the propane tank, for sure. Propane lockers are just baiting disaster. I am also of the mind that the propane should be turned off manually at the valve after every use. I do not think that propane is dangerous on boats provided that you do away with all those "safety" nonsense products like solenoids, sniffers, flame failure shutoff thermocouples, etc. None of these failure-prone systems afford true safety, only lull the user into a false sense of security. The best safety measure is to appreciate the dangers involved and act accordingly.
Do away with all the safety nonsense and propane willbe less dangerous? WTF?
I've seen 3 boats burn to the waterline, one was anchored over my anchor. (Always have the bitter end of your anchor chain attached to the boat with a small line so you can cut it loose.)

For starters Insurance Companies love to find reasons to not pay a claim and your suggestion would make them very happy as they wouldn't be required to pay.

The suggestion to place the propane tanks on the stern rail next to the barbie is also not a very good idea.IMO
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 17:46   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

Our boat has a deck-mounted horizontal tank. Sits in a cradle, strapped down. Easy and straightforward.

BTW, we have a solenoid with a switch in the galley. We use it, but we always turn the valve off at the tank when we're done cooking. The tank is easily accessed, so it takes all of 10 seconds to climb the companionway and turn on or off the valve manually. Makes for a pretty safe system.
Old 30-06-2012, 18:01   #8

Boat: Newport 27 S-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Our boat has a deck-mounted horizontal tank. Sits in a cradle, strapped down. Easy and straightforward.

BTW, we have a solenoid with a switch in the galley. We use it, but we always turn the valve off at the tank when we're done cooking. The tank is easily accessed, so it takes all of 10 seconds to climb the companionway and turn on or off the valve manually. Makes for a pretty safe system.
That's exactly what we plan to do.
elliebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 18:09   #9

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

I always shut the solenoid switch off and when the flame went out I knew the propame had been turned off.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 20:40   #10

Deck mounting will be dangerous if leaking LPG can drift thru a nearby hatch or port. It is heavy and flows in a concentrated cloud. Like a thick river.

Proper locker is the way to go. A proper seaworthy sailboat will not have stuff like LPG bottles hung on the rail.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 22:04   #11

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail

Quote:
BTW, we have a solenoid with a switch in the galley. We use it, but we always turn the valve off at the tank when we're done cooking. The tank is easily accessed, so it takes all of 10 seconds to climb the companionway and turn on or off the valve manually. Makes for a pretty safe system. -Mike OReilly
Safety always first. I agree in the redundency of this. We turn of at the we flip the solenoid, flip the breaker, and then turn off at the tank. The extra 10 seconds of going topside is for safety.

I would attach a vented locker box on the aft deck near the rail. We have two propane bottles. 1 is primary for the over/ stove, the second bottle is fitted with an attachment with low pressure valve at the end of the appropriate rubber hose to plug into venturi tube of our Magma Grill. This way we dont have to carry those 1 lb "bombs" on board whose needles sometimes get stuck in the open position and can be dangerous if not handled or stored correctly. The second tank can be used as a backup when the first runs out till it can be refilled ( mentioned above)

Dave
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 16:47   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Where to Mount Propane Tanks

Ours is two horizontal tanks in a sealed, vented locker within the lazerette. Solenoid is in the locker & switch in the galley. Redundant hand valve is in the galley. Seperate breaker for the solenoid only. We also ALWAYS shut off the tank valve in the locker. I like this set-up if you have room.

Be sure to read up on all of the regulations for propane on a vessel. It is simple but important. (or hire a pro)

If you go horizontal there is no overfill protection device required because they are not designed for horizontal tanks. Vertical tanks will need the overfill device and will most likely be sold with it installed. You cannot readily convert horizontal to vertical without replacing the valve and you cannot operate the tank in an attitude for which it was not intended.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 17:03   #13

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Where to Mount Propane Tanks

I just went thru a survey and got hit on three items on my propane locker, but was lucky and able to fix w/o much trouble. Some things have been updated in the last couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFPA 302, FIRE PROTECTION STANDARD
FOR PLEASURE & COMMERCIAL MOTOR CRAFT

6-3.1 Coal, charcoals & wood stoves: Coal, charcoal and wood burning stoves shall be either mounted on a
noncombustible base (preferably hollow tile) or mounted on legs providing clearance of at least 5 in. between stove
bottom and deck and the deck shall be effectively insulated with a noncombustible material or sheathing. Sides and
backs of un-insulated stoves shall have a minimum clearance of 9 in. from the exposed materials and finishes which
must meet 6-2.1 or be separated by fire-resistant thermal insulation. Sides and backs of insulated stoves shall have
a minimum clearance as specified by the manufacturer.

6-5.1 Attached LPG: The use or storage of stoves with attached LPG or CNG containers is prohibited on boats
having enclosed accommodation spaces.
I see this alot

6-5.7.3 LPG Container: A container shall not be charged with fuel unless it bears the proper markings of the code
which is fabricated, its water weight capacity, and it tare weight.

6-5.8.1 Container Valve: Each container shall have a manually operated shutoff valve installed directly into the
container outlet opening, which can be operated without the use of tools.

6-5.8.7 Remote Valves: A remotely operated valve, if installed, shall be located at the regulator and shall be
operable from the vicinity of the appliance.

6-5.9.1 LPG Container Regulator: Each system shall be provided with a pressure regulating device, specifically
designed for the type of gas being used and so adjusted as to deliver gas to the distribution piping at a pressure not
to exceed 18 in. of water for LPG systems or 6 in. of water for CNG systems.

6-5.9.2: Pressure Relief Valve: A low-pressure relief valve shall be integral with each regulator.

6-5.9.5 Gage: Each reducing regulator shall be fitted with a pressure gage on the high-pressure side.

6-5.10(c) LPG Hose: In LPG or CNG systems, the lines shall be certified and labeled for the fuel used.

6-5.10.3.1: In LPG or CNG systems, the lines shall be secured against vibration.

6-5.10.3.2 LPG Lines: In LPG or CNG systems, the lines shall be protected from abrasion wherever they pass
through decks or bulkheads.

6-5.10.3.3: In LPG or CNG systems, the lines shall be continuous lengths of tubing, without joints, except to feed
other appliances.

6-5.11.2 LPG Stove: A cooking stove is considered to be an attended appliance; however, a cooking stove with an
oven shall incorporate an oven flame failure safety device that will prevent gas from flowing to the oven burner if
flame is not present at the oven burner.

6-5.11.3 LPG Space Heater: Cabin space heaters shall be of the sealed combustion chamber type, designed to
provide complete separation of the combustion system from the atmosphere in the boat. A combustion air inlet and
flue gas outlet shall be provided as integral parts of the appliance.

6-5.12.1.1 LPG Locker: The protective housing or locker shall be: (a) Located above the waterline, (b) Vapor
tight to the hull interior, (c) Provided with a means to latch its cover, (d) Vented to the atmosphere, (e) Located so
that with its cover open or closed escaping vapor cannot reach the bilge’s, machinery spaces, accommodations,
other enclosed spaces, or accumulate in a cockpit.

6-5.12.1.2(a) LPG Vent Pipe: For LPG systems, a vent pipe of at least ½ in. internal diameter to let outboard
without water traps through the hull from the bottom of the locker or housing terminating at the discharge point
above the waterline lower than its bottom.

6-5.12.2 Locker Access: Installation of gas equipment in lockers or housing shall be such that when the means of
access to the lockers or housing is open, the container valves can be conveniently and quickly operated, and the
system pressure gage dials are fully visible.

6-6.2.2 Cabin Heaters: Cabin heating equipment using liquid or gaseous fuel shall be equipped with a means for
automatic fuel shutoff in the event the flame goes out.
Old 04-07-2012, 17:13   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
.... I do not think that propane is dangerous on boats provided that you do away with all those "safety" nonsense products like solenoids, sniffers, flame failure shutoff thermocouples, etc. None of these failure-prone systems afford true safety, only lull the user into a false sense of security. ......
Huh???
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 17:23   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Huh???

I second your "HUH?" and ask that you post a photo of your boat so we know to stay away.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tanks