Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 10:37   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to woodymr
Where Fools Dare Tread

As I sand the forward bulkhead to install another 1/2" bulkhead next it for strength for the innerforestay I become literary, thinking and writing in my head, maybe I should let it out! I can't help but think of the folks in the boat yard betting on wether the "new" guy will fail or go bust, like so many others with the "dream" they've seen come and go. Of what made me make this decision in the first place; am I out of my league to think that I can pull this boat restoration off? I remind myself of the lesson in patience and it's worth alone as a benefit, I have nothing else in life that motivates me as much as this dream. I think of all the "salvage" stuff that I'm re-moving, does anyone need dust! Will I ever get rid of all of it! I live with it, I sleep with it, I am it! I keep the vacuum going all the time now out of paranoia. I am getting great at cheering myself up. becoming my own comedian, entertaining myself as I strap on t he face mask, I'm going in.... to the forepeak that is, I gave up on sanding with palm-sander, hand sanding!, I now am using a angle grinder with 60 grit paper to get a good bite on fiberglassing the bulkhead to the hull and to the existing bulkhead, will have a watertight compartment as I learn from James Baldwin to seek the "un-sinkable" boat. I am a dreamer, but! I have realized that dreams are merely premonitions of the possible future should we choose to follow them, then they become reality. It's magic to witness it work. That alone cheers me up, keeps my altitude right, keeps me going...... keeps me dreaming. Back to work...Aloha
woodymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:50   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha,

I have very much the same type of project in my yard next to my house and "I feel your pain."
Hang in there.

regards,
Old 01-05-2010, 11:45   #3
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
my advice is don't wait till its done, it never will be. I know one person who's been working on dream for 35 yrs and has replaced electronics multiple times as technology changed and has never been on the water. Got Magic from insurance auction as totalled and was sailing 10 months later. Rig, engine, steering then GO! The rest will follow.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 15:15   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodymr View Post
I can't help but think of the folks in the boat yard betting on wether the "new" guy will fail or go bust, like so many others with the "dream" they've seen come and go.
To hell with them. This is your dream.

Remember that a big project is merely a series of little projects done in the right order and each little project is just a series of steps. You can eat an elephant if you do it one bite at time.

Having said that, forsailbyowner is right. Perfection is an ideal that can never be attained. So when you get to "good enough" it is time to stop.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 22:27   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodymr View Post
Back to work...Aloha
Work means you don't need luck

All the best

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote