Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2018, 16:10   #31

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat
Re: Where do you shop for boat parts?

wherever you can find what you need / seek and ye shall find / sometimes the price of what you need in your immediate area is higher than an item you may have to wait 3 weeks for and you have the right tide and wind to leave in 2 days / it speaks for itself you will most likely pay the extra and leave on time
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 19:59   #32

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Don’t overlook

Garhauer Marine https://garhauermarine.com/

McMaster Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/
Second that on Garhauer Marine, also excellent customer service.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:41   #33

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

West Marine moved out of the Oakland location two blocks from hundreds of boats in the Oakland estuary, and they moved out of the large Alameda location also close to thousands of slips on that side of the estuary. They now have one location on the far side of Alameda in the middle of a big shopping center several miles and lots of traffic between them and any boats. Actually that's appropriate, for they have become nothing better than an overpriced clothing store.

Hoping to find a few minor items such as sail slide shackles and cleaner for my vinyl windows, I finally found their new location and managed to find a remote parking place in the crowded parking lot. Inside, I was greeted by rows and rows of clothing, shoes, and other apparel. At the far side of all of this were a few short aisles of sailboat equipment. I did find some plastic slide shackles, but these have a defective design in that there is no provision to protect against chafe of the slide against the bolt rope. There were none of the metal shackles with the vinyl chafe protector insert as I have used for many years. I know the plastic ones will break after a few months. So whoever is doing their product selection had done a poor job.

As for the window cleaner, their website says I would have to order it then I can pick it up in the store. But since I'm with Amazon Prime, I can get anything delivered to my front door in a couple days with no shipping cost. I've not found any delays with Amazon Prime, in fact I get stuff amazingly fast, sometimes even next day.

Used to go to West to get my SS hardware (screws, nuts, bolts, etc.) and you could just get exactly the quantity you needed, put it in a bag and mark the price. No more. Now you have to buy it in the pre-packaged version and you may not even find it since they have eliminated about 80% of their selection. That's a shame since Home Depot has a good selection of SS hardware now, and so do Ace Hardware stores where you can still bag your own.

I just bought a marine stove from Fore and Aft Marine Supply for $400 less than the West Marine price. Had to pay shipping but no taxes, so I saved a lot. I shipped from FL to CA in 3 days. And it was delivered to my front door so I didn't have to make the annoying trip across Alameda to pick it up at West.

IMHO West Marine is really not worth a trip unless you need sailing apparel, or maybe something else right now, and then you might just have wasted your time and gasoline since they probably don't have it in the store anyway.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:34   #34

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421

Hehe. We had a funny experience in Ft. Lauderdale with West Marine. Went into the store to buy an InReach. When I said I was leaving the day after next, and needed it by then, the salesperson laughed at me. I left, ordered from Amazon while in their parking lot, and had it in my grubby little paws the next afternoon. West Marine has a very “old school” mentality, to my thinking.
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:59   #35

Any hardware store that has a supply of ss fasteners. Hardware store=my favorite marine store.

Example: fender cleaner - paint brush & roller cleaner.

Acetone has many uses.

Cleaners are cleaners.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 13:14   #36
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

[QUOTE=GoAway;2665340One problem with not patronizing bricks-and-mortar stores like West Marine and doing all of your shopping online, is that when you need something the same day to get a project done, you're not getting it. There have been way too many times to remember that I needed to ride over to the local West Marine store in the middle of a project I am working on to pick up some supplies.[/QUOTE]

This.

I also buy things at 7-11 and expect the prices to be higher. Their business model started by being open 7-11, back when the big stores never were.

Like 7-11 for a bottle of milk, I'm generally not going to order 3 machine screws, a spool of whipping twine, or some tape.

That said, I've learned what I can get elsewhere. But taking the RV example, some RV stuff is of lesser quality, so be very wary. Home Depot has a 1/4 aisle of sealants and glue, but only 5-6 of those products are boat-worthy.
Old 04-07-2018, 14:24   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNut View Post
Hehe. We had a funny experience in Ft. Lauderdale with West Marine. Went into the store to buy an InReach. When I said I was leaving the day after next, and needed it by then, the salesperson laughed at me. I left, ordered from Amazon while in their parking lot, and had it in my grubby little paws the next afternoon. West Marine has a very “old school” mentality, to my thinking.
I had the exact same experience trying to purchase a Robship hook and moor from West Marine. After driving twenty miles to get to the store, the sales clerk looked at me like I was the idiot ... and said maybe they could special order it. Amazon somehow managed to deliver it to my front door the next day for $50 less and free shipping.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 15:57   #38

I'm lucky that we have 2 stores that cater to the commercial fishing industry here in Cape May. The best is Seagear and if you're ever passing through I recommend stopping in. We also have Utches marina who have a great stock of hardware and marine supplies at reasonable prices. .My dad shopped there for years so I get 20% off too.So I try and shop locally as much as possible but if there's a big difference (they've even recommended) I'll go online.

As for online I generally go to Jamestown. They're incredibly knowledgeable, competitive pricing and fast shipping. Outside of there it'll have to be a big savings to go elsewhere because there's more to shopping than just the price. The knowledge and service I receive is valuable. I've never had a issue with returns and not too long ago I had a problem with something I got from Seagear. I called them on my way down to the boat and there was a replacement waiting for me on the boat with a note saying just to drop the defective one off after I swapped it out. That alone saved me 2 days on the water that I had taken off from work.

I'm all for saving as much as possible but the knowledge I've gained by dealing with real pros can save you in time and money.
Almost-There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 16:35   #39

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAway View Post

One problem with not patronizing bricks-and-mortar stores like West Marine and doing all of your shopping online, is that when you need something the same day to get a project done, you're not getting it. There have been way too many times to remember that I needed to ride over to the local West Marine store in the middle of a project I am working on to pick up some supplies.

When Amazon and online marine retailers starts delivering by drone to my boat within an hour of placing order, I may start doing all of my shopping online. Until then, I would surely miss the West Marine store if it wasn't there.
Great if you are dirt dweller or live on a marina are near civilisation and have a car.
For cruisers unattached to land, especially ones who travel, buying stuff online is the obvious solution.
Most parts of the world have no west marine or similar store near every port.

We buy multiples of pretty much everything.
More often than not a lifetime supply of something online costs little more than a small amount from a bricks and morter store.
And having a large storage area naturally helps (-;
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 17:08   #40

Boat: 1974 Cal Cruising 35

Hmmm....modest refit, I think that might be an oxymoron. Yes West Marine is outrageous with pricing, offensive actually. And thanks WM for the complicated formula for price matching....but no thanks. Why not just be competitive. I shopped West Marine when they were West Coast Ropes with two stores (circa 1973). Their business model was discount marine supplies, something no one did. They took off. After they went public the business model became run local completion out of business and limit inventory to "house brand label", sell clothes and hire young folks who may or may not know boats. Sorry for the rant. I use WM like I do 7-11: convenience. Otherwise I try to plan ahead and use Defender, Fisheries Supply, Jamestown. All three competitive with fair prices, have sales, knowledgeable staff and excellent selection of products (no "house brands"). In Florida there is Sailors Exchange in St. Augustine and Jacksonville I think. Great stores jam packed with used gear, sails and parts ....and good prices. Enjoy your new boat and lifestyle!

https://www.sailblogs.com/member/eleanormay/
msrcal36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 18:43   #41

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
WM absolutely makes me crazy, high prices, no inventory, no knowledgable staff. There is a local marine store just down the street, friendly, knowledagable, and quite often, better prices. try a local privately owned store if you have one near by.
Yeah if you don't price match, which I don't know why you wouldn't West Marine isn't for you. But where I have gone shopping in SD some of the smaller non corporate stores have more niche items, generally better knowledge but in fact high prices. I was specifically looking at line, winches, some small wichard bits and blocks. Needless to say, I walked around the corner, broke out the smart phone and had West price match for what I already knew I needed and wanted and thus didn't require their staff to guide me in my purchase.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:43   #42

You aqre very fortunate in your location
On Speedway Blvd in Daytona there is the greatest shop ever. They have a small section up front where the sell new parts. Then you walk into the back and there is probably 1/2 acre under roof with mostly reasonably priced used stuff. I mean, just about anything you want. Although I havent been there in few years now, when I need anything, I pack up and ride from Atlanta to Daytona and always find what I need. Carry on!
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:22   #43

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

Anywhere and everywhere. Full time live aboard, rarely in a marina and usually somewhere between point "A" and "B". Prior to moving aboard I probably spent 6-months researching parts and materials needed for a "modest refit" (And yes, that is an oxymoron IMHO...especially on a new-to-you boat).

I usually shop online if I'll be somewhere for a week or so. Will use West Marine for stainless hardware as I know what I'm getting. Amazon, Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, RV places and automotive retailers all have their uses as well. And I absolutely love consignment shops if for nothing else than spending an afternoon going through other's cast off "junk" only to find a treasure hidden away on a back shelf somewhere.

Jamestown Dist. is excellent, J-Way Enterprises (for Yanmar parts in my case), Second Wind Sails (Used sails). Paints, varnishes and epoxies I'll usually look at local boat yards or smaller marine suppliers.

For the OP, If the boat that you purchase is more of a weekender or coastal cruiser, there are additional items that will have to be addressed in order to convert said boat into a viable liveaboard. Water and holding tank capacity, additional anchor packages, adding heat or AC, electrical mods/upgrades, solar or wind-gen, cooking capabilities, a dinghy or kayak, a bicycle while ashore, onboard storage, tools, spares, and the list could go on and on ad-nauseum.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:36   #44

Boat: cal29

For used parts, the first place I check is a huge boat graveyard called Massmarine in (of all places), Massachusetts.
alexanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:56   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 22 Charles Crosby Catboat

DISCLAIMER - I developed www.BoatUsedPartSearch.com for my own use then made it freely available to US boaters for two years. Currently in the process of re-launching it.

In short, I found the existing methods to be less than effective. After getting the system to work I reviewed +2,000 US online boat part sellers and captured inventory from hundreds of them on a daily basis.

The purpose was to inform boaters when "below retail" boat parts become available online matching their criteria. This would include: major retailer clearance, used, rebuilt, vintage & even free manuals.

PS - Hopefully I didn't violate any advertising policy here with notice of a free service.....
CatBoatDoug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, parts