Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2019, 08:40   #16

Re: When are cracked bulkheads OK/repairable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
The bulkhead looks repairable MUCH AS I do not like that it had been PAINTED.

Is this a wood bulkhead? If so, then painting could have been done to cover overall poor condition of the wood. Still, repairable. Cut out, replace, etc. A job yes but doable yes.

What I do not like is what you say about the moisture readings. Of course this may be just the gelcoat but how do you want to know this without removing the gelcoat? Doh.

I would be cautious, just like a number of posters above me.

BTW Are you still in the UK? If so, why not buy a boat locally? UK, Med, Canary Islands ...

There is a very nice Moody 376 for grabs here. Or are you fixed on a cat?

Cheers,
b.
It is wooden bulkhead - plywood I believe. I think the paint was more to do with an all over makeover. Didn't consider the idea of it masking things, but you never know.
Starting to give up on the idea of affording a cat - likely end up in a mono to get out there sooner. Have 3 kids to squeeze in, so i'd guess the Moody would be a bit petite.
Do like Moodys though - brings back memories of my Dad fan-girling over them at the boat shows in Blighty back in the 90s

WoodFamSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:13   #17

Hello, I am assuming that you ran from this boat. I say that because I just looked at this boat and did a short sea trial, but not on open water. Made an offer and was about to hand over money then I found this thread. After looking over the report again I noticed the mention of the bulkhead and that it needed further inspection of core. I will call it a close call and walk away.

Nube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 16:02   #18

What core? Where in the boat?
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:40   #19

Sorry, I used wrong words. Further destructive inspection by doing core samples to determine structural integrity of inboard sides of both hulls forward of engine compartment.

Nube is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head