Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2014, 18:20   #1

Boat: Morgan 383
What's under the quadrant?

Hi Guys,

Little unsure of myself here.

I have a wheel console and have to replace a corroded throttle-cable. It's pretty clear that I'm going to have to dismount the console to get at the innards and that will mean disconnecting both the gear cable and the steering wire underneath before unbolting the console from the deck.

My questions though, is what happens to the rudder once it's not longer connected to the wheel. Is it going to slap around (rolly marina here) and cause damage to itself or its mounts? I guess I could lash the quadrant in place while the cable is off, assuming I can get my hands around the quadrant to get at the cable connections to disconnect them.

Then there's this. While I'm down there, it may be useful to pull the quadrant to have a look underneath. There seems to be a small leak coming from this area that is likely to be the rudder bearing - I can't really see with the quadrant in place. There are a couple of choices here:

- Leave the leak as-is. It is not very much and could be lived with - though it's never going to get better so that's just putting off the inevitable.
- Or, once the quadrant is off, it may be a matter of replacing the bearing packing - easy job, no problem. Or it could be worse and the bearing may need replacing. That's out of my league but she will be hauled out shortly and I could get the marina to deal with it once she's out.

But then there is the question of what the rudder does with no quadrant to lash up. Again, it's likely to flop around in its bearing and will travel outside the limits usually imposed by the quadrant stops.

Can this sort of work be done in-water? If so, how do you stabilise the rudder while the quadrant is off?

TIA

Steve
steve_roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 19:00   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: What's under the quadrant?

There might be a packing nut just like a prop shaft might have. It may only need to be tightened.
If you can get to the steering cable ends then you would also be able to figure out a way to lash or block the quadrant to one side.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 19:24   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_roach View Post
Hi Guys,

My questions though, is what happens to the rudder once it's not longer connected to the wheel. Is it going to slap around (rolly marina here) and cause damage to itself or its mounts? I guess I could lash the quadrant in place while the cable is off, assuming I can get my hands around the quadrant to get at the cable connections to disconnect them.
Lots of skeg there. Over the side with a couple of lengths of timber and some line should let you immobilize the rudder quite easily.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 05:56   #4

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I've decided on minimum intervention, basically do as much as I can with the quadrant on and tied off. I appreciate the point about using wooden poles to immobilise the rudder but it's a bit chilly round here at the moment. If I can get a spanner on the gland, I'll see if I can tighten it up a bit. If not, it's not much of a leak and can wait until I'm up for a swim.

My main concern at the moment is servicing the console and servicing the steering cables.

As always, thanks for the feedback.

Cheers

Steve
Old 30-08-2014, 12:46   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Does the heel of the rudder sit in a shoe fitted to the skeg? If not, the quadrant may be sitting on a bearing surface, and supporting the rudder weight. Release it, and the rudder disappears into the deep.
Old 01-09-2014, 23:46   #6

Hi Blue,

Good point. I checked and it doesn't - but it's good to know!

Steve
Old 03-09-2014, 05:52   #7

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Saw this happen to a C & C Redwing 31. Good thing the water was not deep.