Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2010, 16:19   #1
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What's that 'Rubbery' Paint ?

The Bumfuzzle Bums, Pat and Ali Schulte (and Ouest, their little Coconut), are into the refitting of their new-to-them Spindrift 43, and Pat posted this on their blog the other day:

"11-Sep-2010 3:22 PM

"Question for our boat peeps. Our shower walls have a sort of rubber paint on them that we would like to get more of. Does anybody know what or where this stuff is from? West Marine didn't seem to know what we were talking about."

Maybe, as a way to let him know we'd like to see him posting here about the refit, CF members could help solve this head-scratcher for Pat.

TaoJones
Old 13-09-2010, 17:16   #2

Sounds like Elastomeric Paint. Pretty waterproof and great for sealing rough surfaces. Often used on exterior concrete block walls to prevent water infiltration. Many manufacturers offer it.
LandL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 17:16   #3

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
I saw somebody using it at the weekend. It's called chlorinated rubber paint. It was a Wattyl product. They said it had a high aluminium component (but don't quote me on that). They were using it below the waterline on a rudder and a few other spots. They painted over the old (sanded) anti-fouling because they said it would stick to anything. Apparently it provides an excellent moisture barrier. I have heard of people using it, for example, as a primary barrier coat on steel boats. The obvious question was one of setting up an electrolysis or incompatibility problem with the aluminium content, but they said the aluminium was bonded within the paint and that problem did not arise. That's all second-hand, but I have heard of people having great succes with it.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 17:18   #4

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Landl....might be different stuff then to what I saw. The chlorinated rubber would be hard to get a decent finish with I think.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 17:19   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Wharram Tiki 30 Abaco
I believe that the paint they are referring to is elastomeric paint. It is readily available at Home Depot in a very white white. It is used on Trailer roofs. It can also be used to seal up wooden decks to prevent leaking and provide nonskid. There are also some industrial elastomeric paints for concrete and masonry to help with waterproofing. Sherwin Williams makes one IIRC.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boatsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 17:27   #6

Cherp,

Yes, CR pool paint is another option. It would be more "rubbery" than elastomeric paint, but perhaps a little more difficult to run out and pick up a can. I think a little more specific info is required, or someone with specific knowledge on the build of that particular boat.
LandL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 17:43   #7

Boat: Piver Victress
Try a marine paint marketed as " Durabak " or " Duraback " .... very rubbery & non-skid ...
svtadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 17:48   #8

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Any photos of the paint?
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 17:50   #9

Boat: CT54
I could be all wet on this subject but learned something on our last haul-out.
LP Paint = Liquid Plastic Paint.....is it possible that is what they are talking about?
Our boot stripe was painted with a liquid plastic (LP) paint....very waterproof.
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 19:19   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Rubbery Paint and chlorinated rubber...

The aluminium filled "chlorinated rubber" is most likely a vinyl primer, the best known of which is International Paints Primocon. I have used it below the water line on Boracay and it seems to have done it's job...

The "rubbery" paint in the shower of Pat and Alis' boat could be quite hard to identify. Asking a local paint maunifacturer what they think it is and for their recomendations for a primer may be the way to go.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 06:07   #11

Boat: Piver Victress
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtadpole View Post
Try a marine paint marketed as " Durabak " or " Duraback " .... very rubbery & non-skid ...
Here's the link for " Durabak " ..... Durabak Company; Truck Bed, Marine, Boat Ship Industrial & Workplace Non-Skid Coatings.
svtadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 04:41   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
There's also Sanitred. It's another commercial product in use in the Marine Industry.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 08:07   #13

Boat: Custom designed wood 69 ft ketch; Moonfire
I have painted my boat (wood) with chlorinated rubber paint. It is available from Hempel ; Hempatex enamel 56360.
Chlorinated rubber paint is used to paint the walls and bottom of swimming pools. Also the lines in the center of the road. Used a lot on commercial ships because to recoat you clean off the grease and put on another coat. No sanding required.
The disadvantage is it can only be recoated with the same stuff. If you want to use any other type of paint the chlor. rubber paint must be removed using paint stripper or a heat gun. It wont sand. The paint reacts with grease or oils and leaves a stain;if you leave something on it in the sun it will stick. It dries very quickly after application.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 08:35   #14

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtadpole View Post
Run, don't walk away from Durabac, for a number of reasons. An excellent alternative is Tuffcoat. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote