Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2021, 12:30   #1

What to get

I'm currently working on a refit of an old sailboat and was wondering what wood would be best for framing of the galley? Also if anybody is in North Florida recommendations on where to get the lumber?
jeffpros7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 12:52   #2

Re: What to get

More info would be good.
Fiberglass boat?
You mean a basic structure for the cabinets etc?
Often marine or exterior ply bonded to the hull with fiberglass tabbing.
Then covered with more decorative material like Teak or whatever.
Exterior ply has the same glue as marine ply, but more voids in the layers.

Tell us more.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 13:06   #3

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28' (2 of them)

As @cheechako said, are you asking about basic structure or the finish material? We're using MDO plywood (exterior ply used in sign making) for the bulkheads (painted white) with varnished mahogany and teak trim. Boat was originally finished with cedar strips, which we painted white when we got the boat way back when. We've also got some stained birch ply. Tabbing is all fir, most of it ripped from 2x4s.

Our boat is fiberglass, very traditional. Most people think she's a wooden boat when they look quickly.
BCCLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 21:02   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Well the OP said framing...not finishing. I use poplar from home depot. It is strong, mostly straight when you buy it and takes a fastener well, although I always pre-drill first.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 03:59   #5

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

OP's boat:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ct-245523.html

My boat:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ns-236747.html

In my boat, gutted and rebuilt, I typically replaced like for like: 1x2's to 1x4's and plywood but I used nicer SPF and exterior ply from a 'big box' store than the original owner of the kit boat used. I also pre-painted before I installed the new wood. My boat is small and does not have internal bulkheads or chainplates or other key structural stuff that would have weakened the boat had I removed it and not replaced it. If you can find some original drawings for your boat it might be good to see if anything important structure-wise has 'gone missing' during a previous demo and refit. My boat does have some deck core and leaking issues from poorly drilled and poorly bedded deck hardware that will need to be addressed before the interior can be finished completely.
Old 25-01-2021, 18:59   #6

Boat: Sabre 402

We used birch plywood with clear pine 1x2" stiffener/framing to build v-berths on our boat. Ipé trim pieces covered the end-grain. Three coats of varnish, and it has held up well.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote