Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2019, 19:11   #31

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3
Re: What have I started

Not only are they beautiful, but you're a reminder to the rest of us to just keep doing a bit on it every day.

Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 08:08   #32

Sole planks that have been blackened by repeated oil spills, water splashed on them from the bilge, and various stuff spilled on the top are best replaced. Wood is a poor choice of materials for a cabin sole over a bilge because the humidity over the bilge insures that the wood will always be saturated with moisture. It will stink, turn black, and eventually rot. Of course, you can jump through a lot of hoops to refinish old/blackened/partly rotted/stinky wood with chemicals and epoxy, etc. But why do all that? Just buy some high quality synthetic decking planks like those used by homeowners and screw them in with stainless steel screws. They are a lot cheaper than clear wood of the proper dimensions.
They do not stain, absorb water, or rot. To allow for expansion/contraction you have to leave about 1/16th inch between them and 1/8th inch at the ends. The gaps can be filled with a silicone caulk. [If you use 5200 you will never get them out again.] They will last longer than the boat and always smell good. They are easy to clean and easy to take up if necessary. I love fiberglass boats as much as I hate wood decks over a bilge. It is a poor design from the start.

lituya1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 14:01   #33

Boat: Hinckley 49, Evening Star, originally owned by Lawrence Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lituya1617 View Post
Sole planks that have been blackened by repeated oil spills, water splashed on them from the bilge, and various stuff spilled on the top are best replaced. Wood is a poor choice of materials for a cabin sole over a bilge because the humidity over the bilge insures that the wood will always be saturated with moisture. It will stink, turn black, and eventually rot. Of course, you can jump through a lot of hoops to refinish old/blackened/partly rotted/stinky wood with chemicals and epoxy, etc. But why do all that? Just buy some high quality synthetic decking planks like those used by homeowners and screw them in with stainless steel screws. They are a lot cheaper than clear wood of the proper dimensions.

They do not stain, absorb water, or rot. To allow for expansion/contraction you have to leave about 1/16th inch between them and 1/8th inch at the ends. The gaps can be filled with a silicone caulk. [If you use 5200 you will never get them out again.] They will last longer than the boat and always smell good. They are easy to clean and easy to take up if necessary. I love fiberglass boats as much as I hate wood decks over a bilge. It is a poor design from the start.

All correct in what you say, but sitting back with a wine at a nice mooring, cabin full of friends, slow tunes playing ambient low light, talking long tall stories, and eating great food, I know what Iíll prefer under my feet.
Markhunter1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 18:06   #34

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Those turned out great!

When I was doing varnish work for myself and others I often found roll and tip was the best way to get it to flow out like glass with minimal imperfections. I also worked in a garage that had a large vacuum sucking air out of the garage to prevent dust from settling on the wood.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 18:47   #35

Really nice restoration, and a beautiful boat! I get that this is a Hinckley and a cut above the rest, but it's nice to see floorboards that are actually serviceable and can be removed without wrecking them or the boat. Wish my boat was designed that way, instead of 1100 screws under plugs screwed into subfloor which is nailed into stringers

Note to self: Get a Hinckley next time!

Incidentally if anyone is looking for proper screws for their floorboards check these out. They will definitely be part of my new sole project.

https://store.pyiinc.com/products/fl...ant=3943241985

tworail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 20:23   #36

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworail View Post
Really nice restoration, and a beautiful boat! I get that this is a Hinckley and a cut above the rest, but it's nice to see floorboards that are actually serviceable and can be removed without wrecking them or the boat. Wish my boat was designed that way, instead of 1100 screws under plugs screwed into subfloor which is nailed into stringers

Note to self: Get a Hinckley next time!

Incidentally if anyone is looking for proper screws for their floorboards check these out. They will definitely be part of my new sole project.

https://store.pyiinc.com/products/fl...ant=3943241985

At $55 for a 4pck, I feel like that's a bit steep. They are nice for sure but out of my price range.

I also would agree that it's nice to see a manufacturer actually designed something logical

chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote