Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2022, 00:08   #1

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
What grease if "Marine" or some specific manufacturers own brand is not available?

This is a little offspring on the current Tefgel thread

I am totally aware that Tefgel is not the right product for greasing something and serves its intended purpose perfectly, I am wondering what types of greases can actually be used for outboards, furler and winches when specific manufacturer greases or designated marine greases are not available.

What should be used and what should be avoided.

In some areas there are simply not that many marine stores and chandleries around & online ordering when cruising is always a pain if you prefer anchorages over ports.

Guess hi copper content is less the ideal on a boat.
How about other grease types, like Lithium based ones or other?

What chemistry is suitable and which not?
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:55   #2

Re: What grease if "Marine" or some specific manufacturers own brand is not available

All of the marine grease I’m accustomed to is lithium based. It simply has additives to make it less permeable to water and more corrosion resistant.

But where I live marine grease is readily available everywhere. Hardware stores and automotive stores alike carry it. Bike shops use it extensively. Farm equipment, as well.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 05:15   #3

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy
Re: What grease if "Marine" or some specific manufacturers own brand is not available

This is a good question Franziska, thanks.

For one application I ended up with Lucas Marine calcium sulfonate and it sits in a grease gun in a box all by itself with a half tube extra in the bottom of the box. I cannot remember exactly why, getting close to 20 years ago, but it seemed a good idea at the time...

All the other grease tubes I have are lithium-based and range from stuff I got at the farm store to Valvoline Cerulean, which is for heavy equipment but not specifically marine. It is also billed as low in heavy metals and allows one to 'consolidate' grease types. This is how I would go forward, pick a medium to high grade lithium grease and just have one type around. Is there room onboard for one 1/2 liter tube and the applicator gun? There are mini guns too. The gun that has the Cerulean is also labelled.

A moderator on another forum (iboats?) used to sign posts with 'any grease is better than no grease at all' and I think there is wisdom there. If you have something apart to grease it, clean it well and replace the grease with something known good that you can source and refresh next time without much effort.

And if you are so far away that your favorite type is not there, use what you brought or the locals have and tell us a good story about it when you get back
Old 12-08-2022, 07:06   #4

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

I've settled on a couple of products made by "Sta-Lube".
The blue colored "heavy duty" boat trailer wheel bearing grease for things like windlasses, axles for bow rollers, Edson worm drive steering gears and stern tubes, it also works well for the traditional tapered bronze seacocks.
The other is a "light duty, general purpose", (~consistency of toothpaste,) for winches and assorted small stuff, like coating threads.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:44   #5

Boat: Tartan 3800

I go to the auto parts store and get the cheapest tubes of general-purpose chassis grease I can find that isn't black. The black formulations have graphite in them and will stain clothes and equipment.

I don't think it matters much for marine applications and have never given it much thought. The higher end grease is more heat and pressure resistant. For winches and furlerI use the stuff from the manufacturer.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:45   #6

We have used Valvoline synthetic grease on the winches for years. It never hardens/dries out and tends to stay clean without picking up water.
Locquatious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine