Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2021, 03:11   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47
Re: What do you think of my thru hull condition?

I would change them on next haulout to marelon, not bronze. I installed new bronze ones and I do have always troubles to open/close them. (Even with proper greaseing)

On the other hand: You ask if you can brush the seacocks?
This question is telling me that you are not qualified as skipper and by this you are dangerous for yourself and others.

When you drive a car and something brakes you stop on the right side and call the professionals.

If something serious brakes on your boat and you are a two left-hander you and your mates are going down. So - before you go out - check every plug and screw on your boat and make a plan how you can repair it in emergency.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:06   #47

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Weakest link theory.... ....

The groco flange is MUCH more substantial than a mushroom. I’d bet you’d break the valve before the threaded section of the flange adapter.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:24   #48

Boat: Beneteau 373

I had one that looked like that break off when I went to close it (head discharge) before setting sail on a charter boat in the BVI.
Seeing the pretty blue ocean and fish swimming under the boat through the water coming in was quite a surprise,
Wooden plug worked, charter company made a trip to the Bitter End and replaced it in the water.
James M B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:21   #49

Boat: Catana 471

That first picture is scary. When we bought the current boat, we had several that looked suspect — but not nearly that bad — and we decided to replace all of them proactively. None leaked, but two of the original mushrooms snapped off flush with the hull as we were trying to remove the hoses.

We chose to replace with the Groco flanged adapters, and I agree with Jedi and others that they’re very beefy. I also bought one of the TruDesign fittings with collar, and think it would be fine as well (and their tests show it is plenty strong). Ultimately went with Groco adapters so I could more easily replace valves and fittings using off-the-shelf chandlery hardware down the road, wherever we happen to be.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:27   #50

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
I would change them on next haulout to marelon, not bronze. I installed new bronze ones and I do have always troubles to open/close them. (Even with proper greaseing)

On the other hand: You ask if you can brush the seacocks?
This question is telling me that you are not qualified as skipper and by this you are dangerous for yourself and others.

When you drive a car and something brakes you stop on the right side and call the professionals.

If something serious brakes on your boat and you are a two left-hander you and your mates are going down. So - before you go out - check every plug and screw on your boat and make a plan how you can repair it in emergency.
Just a little condescending aren't we? He is a brand spankin new member reaching out for advice. There are many ways to address someone here who might not be in "the know" about a boats systems.

Here let me help you out...
"Welcome to the forum. Here is what we do at our yard. ..XY and Z. I encourage you to keep asking questions like this as there are many things on a boat which could be catastrophic if not attended to quickly and properly."
You see? That's not difficult is it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:01   #51

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Just a little condescending aren't we? He is a brand spankin new member reaching out for advice. There are many ways to address someone here who might not be in "the know" about a boats systems.

Here let me help you out...
"Welcome to the forum. Here is what we do at our yard. ..XY and Z. I encourage you to keep asking questions like this as there are many things on a boat which could be catastrophic if not attended to quickly and properly."
You see? That's not difficult is it.
Amen brother[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

I don't get why some people have to get so damn negative in their responses.

Good on you calling this out - especially how you did it!

See people, one CAN "teach" without being an ass!
Afrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:29   #52

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrinus View Post
Amen brother[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

I don't get why some people have to get so damn negative in their responses.

Good on you calling this out - especially how you did it!

See people, one CAN "teach" without being an ass!

I know by self example...Being of the human condition, I have been a condescending ass myself.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:29   #53

These are made from a variety of components including cast iron, stainless steel and or dur-aluminum. They may be fabricated and welded or manufactured as castings. The adverse corrosive environment, specifically in seawater where the hot acidic gases and salt mixture will pursue out weakness in the components. Replacement is the best option here but you can just go for a pipe integrity check. These pipe elbows will become clogged over life with carbon and salt deposits. As these deposits, increases they may diminish the exhaust flow and gently choke the engine driving to poor functioning.
Zachary M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:44   #54

How much of your hull did they grind away to get that thru-hull situated?

cored hull or what?
keelsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:11   #55

Boat: Westsail 32

I think the first thing to replace is the incompetent idiot that calls himself a "surveyor"!!!
svDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:19   #56

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 49

Replace them all now.

These bronze fittings are likely from Beneteau ( who makes Jeanneau). In their genius they added zinc to the bronze (perhaps to make it flow better.....problem is that the zinc gets stripped out due to electrolysis leaving bronze fittings ready to fall apart. I was aboard a boat when this happened, we pounded in wooden plugs from the outside, and cur off the stub.

I just replaced ALL my thru hull fittings and valves. (2008 Beneteau) When I had them in my shop, I found that any with “green” (as yours show) were not shiny yellow bronze, but rose red when I explored.

Beneteau recommends replacing all items every 5 years.

I switched to TruDesign 2 years ago, and could not be happier with this product.

1. Get wooden plugs at every thru hull fitting now.
2. Get real Silicon Bronze fittings, do not get from Beneteau or Jeanneau. Or TruDesign.
3. Get the boat out of the water, on the hard and get these replaced now.
4. Get a refund from the surveyor. Or if no refund- report him/her to the association you will find in the survey report.

Ps. Are you a USCG Captain, Master Mariner? If not, please drop Capt. from your name....
Bluechart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:25   #57

Looks like an X-ray of my liver.
Replace & all when you haul out- and upsize the galley sink drain while you’re at it- helps eliminate clogging from scraps, etc.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:32   #58

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechart View Post
These bronze fittings are likely from Beneteau ( who makes Jeanneau). In their genius they added zinc to the bronze (perhaps to make it flow better.....problem is that the zinc gets stripped out due to electrolysis leaving bronze fittings ready to fall apart.
With all due respect, I'm fairly certain that these are NOT "bronze" at all, but straight off the plumbing shelf at the corner hardware store!
svDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:42   #59

Boat: Jeanneau 42 Deck Salon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Caveman View Post
Hi All,

I'm a new member but have lurked here for a while gleaning information so thank you for that.

I have recently purchased a Jeanneau SO 42DS which I'm very happy with. Being new to boats I'm struggling to work out if my thru hulls are a concern. I have heard thru hulls are a general weakness of these boats so I would be very happy to hear what more experienced people think.

I did have the boat surveyed and pointed the surveyor towards them and he said their condition was fine. I asked how you can tell if there is imminent failure and he said they would start to weep first - does that sounds reasonable?

Thanks in advance.
Caveman:

That raw water intake valve is an accident waiting to happen. It doesn't look like the crappy OEM valve from Jeanneau but failing just the same. Photo is a dead ringer for the valve on my 2007 42DS. The Jeanneau faulty metallurgy fails from the inside out and was paper thin at failure. It snapped off from hand pressure the night before a 1400 nm trip. Replaced it with another Jeanneau part and it corroded thru in three years. I just replaced all my major thruhulls (heads, engine, genset, A/C raw water) with Trudesign composite. One exception was a Forespar part #931274 for the engine raw water (your photo). This Marlon valve has a built-in garden hose fitting on top and three position handle for easy engine flush or winterizing. Both Trudesign and Forespar are nicely engineered and easy to install. Trudesign even has an add-on collar that eliminated a backing plate if necessary.
Colonel Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:04   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechart View Post

Ps. Are you a USCG Captain, Master Mariner? If not, please drop Capt. from your name....
The commanding officer of a navy vessel is not a USCG licensed individual but is called captain due to him being the boss on the boat.
So you really need to loose the condescending attitude

Me HtC ret. Unlimited tonnage engineer.

Tags
hull, thru hull