Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 15:29   #16

Boat: Vagabond 42
Re: what country for carpentry?

I just had my Vagabond home to Texas for a refit last summer. We tore out some of the BEAUTIFUL cabinetry and paneling to check the chain plates (which turned out to be fine) and to do some repairs where water had leaked for years. We also converted the front stateroom bunks into a V-berth. A nautical wood working company here in Kemah,Texas did the most spectacular work I have ever seen. The company is named Superior Marine Services and they really did live up to their name. I had tried to get some of the water leak repairs done in the islands and could not find anyone who had the skills to duplicate the wood work on a Vagabond. Superior EXACTLY duplicated the Taiwanese wood work, perfectly! Their prices were good. Not cheap but I was interested in really good work and got it. The Clear Lake/Seabrook Texas area if full of really good marine carpenters, mechanics, welders, sail makers. It is a great place to do a refit at reasonable costs compared to the East coast.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 17:28   #17

Re: What Country for Carpentry ?

Taiwan..... Just compare a boat built in Maine, Sweden etc then look at a Baba, Passport, Hans Christian etc...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:18   #18

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

But mommy, we're just playing, and we didn't use bad words or hit. Anyway, he started it by calling us financiers, we're not financiers, are we mommy? What is a financier? Is that bad?
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 17:11   #19

Esmeraldas Ecuador is another good spot for quality work.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpentry