Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2022, 06:19   #31

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: What can I spray a touch up job of 2 part linear polyurethane with?

I just painted an 18’ Donzi with the drop gun. Red and white. Added 30 grams of pearl in the white.
We are not kidding on how dangerous the paint can be.
The drop gun tanks go a long way and depending on what you’re shooting you have tanks ready and stagger. Dragging another hose is not good for the stuff I’ve painted. Makes sense on a big Cat.
I like the clean up too. I put 16 coats on a corvette with some water sanding in between. Colour only two bottles clear 3. I use that DuPont oxide primer on fibreglass. Seems dumb anti rust paint on glass but the grip the stuff has is addictive. Truly the ugliest primer ever.

Sorry about the language thing. We have a couple local shops which rent out paint booths to paint your car. You can also rent a gun and compressor. Guns are all about how well they are cleaned and kept.
Just the gun hoses and bottles will run $1,000.00

I have several airbrushes but only one big gun. I had two others over the years both jars but the iwata shoots so nice it’s like an airbrush. The controls give it great application range.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6875A804-3860-4645-B90C-C754661D54DF.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	264757  
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2022, 07:38   #32

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

that’s a nice gun also. I have only used DeVilbiss.

anyway, to wrap up the thread, at least from my side, I was in Ace Hardware and saw the Preval touch up sprayer.

I picked it up. It’s also a matter that I need to get the boat done. Can’t be dwelling and ruminating on things. Not like I usually do.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 07:50   #33

From an amateur painter… Isn’t this whole discussion highlighting the benefits of using a repairable paint like Alexseal? Brush/roll on the repair, wet-sand and polish. You’ll need to be within one foot and focused on the repair to see it.

Rolled on Alexseal:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8EBFC788-AAC1-4644-8906-6D09E2E9613F.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	264963  
jnye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 07:53   #34

Boat: 1978 Cape Dory Typhoon - Weekender

I did a search for DIY spray paint and found many links like this one. Not sure that I'd use it on my 100k boar but would use it on my <10k boat.

https://www.instructables.com/DIY-spray-paint/

Cheers
Chris
Christhebuddist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 08:12   #35
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
What can I spray a touch up job of 2 part linear polyurethane with?

Really spraying LPU is for professionals. Just brush it on ( with the correct technique )
Old 26-09-2022, 08:16   #36

Boat: Tripp 56

When I refurbished my C&C 39, I ended up with some areas in front of the side lites of the cabin that I had to add paint to, and at 18 months in I was kind of burnt out with spraying, so I just painted that section. Of course it looked like it was brushed, but after I used a block and 400 grit silicone carbide paper, then hit it with buffing compound, you couldn't tell the difference. This was with polyisocianite, which I think is the same thing. (PPG Concept)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DeckPaint0023.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	386.6 KB
ID:	264976  
Coltrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 09:18   #37

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I already bought the paint. So I will be using that. It’s the same two-part linear polyurethane paint are used for the boat itself to begin with.

I was looking at the Preval sprayer can you can reload it.

but then I saw a lot of really bad reviews about it not working or spraying. it was $200 for a pint of my paint. So I don’t want to waste that.

What can I use to spray this stuff for a repair area?

I do not have my old compressor and spraying set up that I used to spray the boat originally. It is not in that location anymore.

If it is real LP like AwlGrip, (vs AwlCraft Acrylic) it can only be touched up if you picture frame it with masking and paper.

You can not polish out overspray, like with AwlCraft.
The shine is on the surface, so if you polish out overspray, it only looks better for a while, before yellowing, because you removed the clear coat that rises to the surface.

You can also picture frame the repair, and brush it on.
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 11:12   #38

Boat: 41' yawl

I'ved use prevals, just try a small batch, add more thinner a bit at a time until you identify the ratio and application method that works for you.

But I would probably brush and mask it off with a fancy thin masking tape to minimize the appearance of the border. If its close to the bow or stern then mimicking the angles as a parallelogram rather than just a rectangle can look less cheesy (or more cheesy! no accounting for taste) although you'd probably have to be only a few feet away to even see it if the paint is a match.

Practice a little and you'll find the very best look you can get from brushing LPU is what happens in the 10 seconds after you apply it, anything you do after you'll wish you hadn't. Get good at applying (one motion) and laying flat with a dry brush (second motion), and stop there. Once you get the feel you probably don't even need two brushes. You want to be ultra mechanical and deliberate with your planned paint motions, it will respond consistently if you apply consistently.

oh- and it can smell fear.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 11:15   #39

Use a scuba tank and a touch up mini spray gun. Be careful and don't put too much on at a time or you will get runs. Different paints , some can blend and buff others cannot. Ask the supplier.
drdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 15:44   #40

Boat: Pearson 386

Buy a cheap electric spray gun and throw it away when you done. $40 on Amazon. It will cost you an equal amount just for the solvent needed to clean it, and some of the parts may be attacked urethane systems but it should get you through the job. Try the mid size nozzle first. You must carefully fair the edges of scraped/damaged area or it could end taking two applications, the first to raise the zone below profile and the second as final. https://www.amazon.com/Rrtizan-Elect...nting-Cabinets
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
polyurethane