Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2008, 18:18   #1

Boat: 83 27' hunter "SALTY DAWG"
well i attacked my hull with a grinder

as i have said before my boat had some damage right about the water line on the hull. the damage was basicly the gel coat was shattered and scrubed off on the dock. today i took the grinder and removed all the damaged glass and gel coat down the the final layer of roving on the inside of the hull. it was easy to see what was delaminating from the scrubing action of the dock which just meant more grinding. the visible damage was an area about 12 inches by 18 inches.. when ground and feathered out it was 24 inches by 40 inches. the main reason it was such a large area was the gelcoat was loose from the mat for about 6 inches in every direction with some extending an extra foot in one direction. i basicly ground out the damaged glass and kept feathering the gelcoat till i hit solid bonding. the hull was dry, and the inside layer of roving was solid, so it made putting the glass in easy.

then came the glass work, where the gelcoat bond was bad it got 2 layers of 6 oz glass, to be filled later with epoxy and filler then gelcoat. where the glass had to be ground out its a total of 10 layers of 6 oz glass feathered out how its supposed to be. it is pretty good right now but needs some filler tommarrow to make it real pretty. i might have put on a layer or too to much, but its solid
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote