Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2018, 02:56   #31

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Weighs a ton - hard to get at

On other items that are difficult to access, for example self starting motors, I have found that using studs with nuts rather than bolts makes them easier to install. Getting something to slide onto a stud is often easier than trying to blindly line up holes to install a bolt.

I also sometimes use extended nuts made out of hexagonal brass bar to extend nuts out of difficult to get at places and on some really difficult access places such as starter motors have even used extended studs with a length of the thread machined off and a slightly pointed end so that when I slide the nut over the pointed end it self aligns and is easy to get to start threading.

The successful DIY yacht maintainer develops rat cunning with experience.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:56   #32

I use two little quarter ton chain come-alongs. One to lift and one to pull in another direction. They can do anything. I placed my diesel engine into place like nothing a while ago. They are only the size of your fist, but plenty of power to handle any heavy lifting and holding work.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:05   #33
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
I use two little quarter ton chain come-alongs. One to lift and one to pull in another direction. They can do anything. I placed my diesel engine into place like nothing a while ago. They are only the size of your fist, but plenty of power to handle any heavy lifting and holding work.
For moving engines around I use lumbe skid rails, the main sheet to lift and the Vang to draw back on the rails and engine beds.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:59   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
On the anchor winch motor problem.

Pass a couple of cords down through the deck mounting through opposite bolt holes and then down to eyes screwed into the gearbox mounting holes. This will allow you to pull the motor and gearbox up under the deck and fix it there. Then screw a couple of appropriate length all threaded rods down into two of the other holes and put nuts on the top. You can now remove the ropes and eyes and use the rods to lift the motor and gearbox into position to install a couple of the proper bolts.
Using dyneema cord to do as you suggested is a very good idea that will work. The same with your previous post recommending the studs. thanks.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 15:25   #35

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It all depends on what the access on the individual boat is. Our anchor locker has solid deck over it, not an opening lid. The chain feeds into the locker forward of the crash bulkhead, and the motor, is accessible from the sail locker. Still, a cramped, difficult space to work in, though.

The solutions you come up with are what counts at the end of the day, and our OP did find a way. Good on ya.

Ann
Old 03-09-2018, 20:50   #36

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
It all depends on what the access on the individual boat is. Our anchor locker has solid deck over it, not an opening lid. The chain feeds into the locker forward of the crash bulkhead, and the motor, is accessible from the sail locker. Still, a cramped, difficult space to work in, though.

The solutions you come up with are what counts at the end of the day, and our OP did find a way. Good on ya.

Ann
I found a way Ann, but it entailed admitting defeat on the project. I need this winch to be working by this weekend, or I would have tried a few of the suggestions which have come my way in this thread. Where there is a will there is a way, using other than muscle power. And some time in the future I might need to do it again when there is not a strong man handy. Then things like scissor jacks, dyneema down through bolt holes and the like would come in handy.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:45   #37
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
I found a way Ann, but it entailed admitting defeat on the project. I need this winch to be working by this weekend, or I would have tried a few of the suggestions which have come my way in this thread. Where there is a will there is a way, using other than muscle power. And some time in the future I might need to do it again when there is not a strong man handy. Then things like scissor jacks, dyneema down through bolt holes and the like would come in handy.
In my opinion getting help to do something, for any reason, is not admitting defeat, it is exercising good judgement. ;-)
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 15:58   #38

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Air wedge
used recently to lift our 7kva genset to change feet

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...acat=0&_sop=15
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:01   #39

Boat: Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
Hello Sailors,

Twice this year I have been in a situation where I needed to offer up a heavy piece of machinery to a higher fitting. The first time was lifting a rebuilt autopilot drive to its fitting, which of course was in a very awkward place. The second was trying to offer a heavy anchor winch motor/box to the drive shaft for the winch gypsy, which is above deck. In both cases forearms like a gorilla would have been useful, but I don't have them. In both cases, the hull of the yacht the "floor" was of irregular shape. With the pilot I managed to use lots of pieces of wood and some wedges to finally get it to the spot where it connected, but I could not manage that with the anchor winch drives. No amount of different shaped and sized bits of wood would provide a flattish floor in the anchor locker because of its compound angles. Is there some sort of tool people use for these situations - like a jack with tripod feed that you can lengthen or shorten? Or is it just a case of plug on until your forearms break or you make the connection?

Depends how frustrating you find it, and how often you do it. If you find it frustrating, and don't mind spending 150$, buy yourself a portapower knockoff with a big box of bits. At minimum you want the butterfly style end and the piston style with a bunch of different lengths to change it, and different feet, the shorty pistons are nice too. Amazing what you can do with one. Everything from moving 800lb engines, to holding up that windlass motor.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...it/A-p1270021e
I like the flat rubber foot too, second most used after the butterfly, not sure about the dome one in the one I linked, I paid 150$ for mine, we use it for literally everything from fitting plywood sheets to pressing hulls into shape, to engine alignments.

Add a few air bags(5-10$) bits of plywood and lumber, and a couple small level type chain come alongs(1/4 T and 1/2 ton are amazingly useful) and you can push or pull pretty much anything.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote