Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2018, 06:51   #16

Re: Weighs a ton - hard to get at

Spread your chain out until it is as a close to flat as you can get it and lay a piece of thick plywood on it to use for a jack base. Just a thought. Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:55   #17

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

With a long enough lever you can lift the world.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 16:07   #18

Boat: Olympic 40 On 851431

Not the best answer but works I recently removed reconditioned and replaced Nilsen Capstan Winch
Plenty of fenders and board
Lay in the fenders pack the top with a drop sheet and lay in a board to create a flat base
pack from there raise or level
Dash-Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 16:53   #19
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
Hello Sailors,

Twice this year I have been in a situation where I needed to offer up a heavy piece of machinery to a higher fitting. The first time was lifting a rebuilt autopilot drive to its fitting, which of course was in a very awkward place. The second was trying to offer a heavy anchor winch motor/box to the drive shaft for the winch gypsy, which is above deck. In both cases forearms like a gorilla would have been useful, but I don't have them. In both cases, the hull of the yacht the "floor" was of irregular shape. With the pilot I managed to use lots of pieces of wood and some wedges to finally get it to the spot where it connected, but I could not manage that with the anchor winch drives. No amount of different shaped and sized bits of wood would provide a flattish floor in the anchor locker because of its compound angles. Is there some sort of tool people use for these situations - like a jack with tripod feed that you can lengthen or shorten? Or is it just a case of plug on until your forearms break or you make the connection?
Give me a fulcrum and lever and I can move the world.

Another option is to suspend with lines and wind a tourniquet (or two) to draw it up.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 17:11   #20

Boat: Sabre 402

When our Volvo was totaled, I pulled the jack (a scissors style) out of the trunk and kept it. Its small footprint has been very useful for lifting heavy things in tight spots.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 17:20   #21
cruiser

Judging by the answers received, am I the only one on this forum who’s actually climbed into a chain locker, flat on my back lying on chain and contorted, and replaced a windlass motor? Absolutely none of these theories presented will ever work in real life.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 17:29   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
From the answers received, am I the only one on this forum who’s actually climbed into a chain locker, flat on my back lying on chain and contorted, and replaced a windlass motor? Absolutely none of these theories presented will ever work in real life.
Bolloxcs, 3 philipionos could have done it in twice the time without you having to visit a chiropracter afterwards,and told that you need to have an enama for anal retention
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 17:42   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
Bolloxcs, 3 philipionos could have done it in twice the time without you having to visit a chiropracter afterwards,and told that you need to have an enama for anal retention
There’s barely enough room in the chain locker for one Philipino. The reason I did it, was because no one else would or could fit in there with the motor and some tools. Fenders too? Yeh right.
Old 02-09-2018, 17:50   #24
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Judging by the answers received, am I the only one on this forum who’s actually climbed into a chain locker, flat on my back lying on chain and contorted, and replaced a windlass motor? Absolutely none of these theories presented will ever work in real life.
Hey Kenomac, been there more times than I care to recount, but if the OP can’t physically rely on the Armstrong method,
alternatives are required.

Levers can work for just about anything. I often use them for lifting engines a tad to change mounts when a chain hoist isn’t available.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 17:53   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Hey Kenomac, been there more times than I care to recount, but if the OP can’t physically rely on the Armstrong method,
alternatives are required.

Levers can work for just about anything. I often use them for lifting engines a tad to change mounts when a chain hoist isn’t available.
Fair enough, I’m sure you have.
Old 02-09-2018, 17:58   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Weighs a ton - hard to get at

If your in the US, you can rent a transmission jack, depending on conditions of course.
I used a soccer ball and a pump to pick up my motor to change the engine mounts, then found a strong price of oak floor flooring was actually easier.
Yes Ken, I installed my windlass as there was none in my little boat, however there is room for both of us up there, and yes it was awkward.
All this stuff is tight and tough to get at, when I install, that is my number one concern, how hard is it going to be to remove?
I’ve had to cut off hose clamps, cause you could tell the were installed prior to the pump being installed etc.
This is why it’s called Boat Yoga.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 18:52   #27

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Hire the job out to a pro is my recommendation.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 22:52   #28

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
(Obviously) Absolutely none of these (suggestions) theories presented will ever work in (your) real life...

Sure wish we were all smart as you...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:19   #29

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Well, the winch is back together. I got in the anchor locker this morning for one last try and failed to lift it into place. This afternoon, my arms are shaking a bit, so I gave it a red hot go. So I went and asked the local shipwrights if they could help. The owner came to the boat, hopped in the locker and lifted it into place. I reached in and put in the bolt that holds it in place. It must have taken him all of ten minutes to size it up and press it upwards into place. He said if he failed, there was a really strong shipwright in his crew who would do it. So it looks like in the ladder of strength, I am at the bottom. Mind you, I'm also 68. Also, another man told me the shipwright who did the task was also a former State champion kick-boxer and was a strong man. So there you go.....thanks to all for the tips and suggestions. There are some good ones among them and I will use them in future for this or other horrible tasks. Cheers....
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:45   #30

Boat: Island Packet 40

On the anchor winch motor problem.

Pass a couple of cords down through the deck mounting through opposite bolt holes and then down to eyes screwed into the gearbox mounting holes. This will allow you to pull the motor and gearbox up under the deck and fix it there. Then screw a couple of appropriate length all threaded rods down into two of the other holes and put nuts on the top. You can now remove the ropes and eyes and use the rods to lift the motor and gearbox into position to install a couple of the proper bolts.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote