Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 06:51   #16

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
Much appreciation! I'll give it a shot.
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:04   #17

Dennis,

Don't feel bad. The reason you're getting so many suggestions is we've all had troubles with bilge pump wiring

All of the suggestion for connections are great but I would first get it working with temporary connections. Then do a permanent job. There's a chance the thing is just broken out of the box.

If the old system EVER worked, you do not need to "rewire the boat". Christian's diagram is the one. But to repeat.

The black wire "coming into the bilge" should go to the pump AND the black of the water witch.

The red "coming into the bilge" should go to the red of the water witch.

The brown of the waterwitch should go to the red or brown of the pump.

While soldering is fine here, crimped connections are often better in a boat because the solder can crack from vibration and movement. Making a good solder connection is also not easy for the inexperienced. If you do decide to use crimped connectors, get a good crimper like the Ancor Double Crimp Ratchet Tool - costs less than $100 and will last a lifetime.

Bilge pump wiring is also one of the most common ways that stray current gets into the bilge and cause galvanic corrosion. No matter how well sealed, keep as much bilge pump wiring out of bilge water as possible. If any wire must be normally wet, check it carefully for any cracks in the insulation.

The Ultra is from USS who also make Tef Gel for rigging.

TEF-GEL - Ultra safety systems - Home page

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:48   #18

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
Thanks again! And wish me luck. OMG... what have I gotten myself into with all this sailboat maintenance?? LOL
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote