Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2013, 09:54   #16

Boat: Whitby 55
Re: Water Witch Bilge Switch Reviews?

I have gone through two of them in less than 2 years. They constantly stick in the open position burning up batteries and pumps. Stay away from the Water Witch!!!!!
FranklinGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 10:59   #17

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinGray View Post
I have gone through two of them in less than 2 years. They constantly stick in the open position burning up batteries and pumps. Stay away from the Water Witch!!!!!
That's been my same experience, see the second post in the thread. The concept is great but the product just does not seem to hold up in many cases. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 11:43   #18

One more data point for the Ultra Safety switches. I had two on my first boat for 15 years without a problem. The new boat, bought in 1998 had 2 of them installed when I bought it. They're still there, still working just fine.
svinshallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 11:45   #19

Boat: Outbound 44

My WaterWitch sensor failed after 2 years. In the closed state, setting off my high water alarm in a dry, hot bilge.
Old 24-12-2013, 11:50   #20

Boat: Roberts 44 Offshore

Mine is still going strong since 2009, summers only as the boat is in Toronto. The only thing I do is keep oil off the switch so I clean it every spring. Besides that, works perfect.
winterbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 13:56   #21

Boat: Baltic trader

Just found this old post and thought I would give feedback on my experience on those robust switches.
I've installed two waterwitch 230 in 24v on my 80 ft wooden boat sometimes in early 2014. Ship's been leaking quite a lot in the early days and I've tryed many mechanical switches before to keep her afloat. Those waterwitch are expensive but don't have any moving parts that can break. The first years the pump were switched on every 5 minutes in average (big leaks, small money), today it's more about once every 2-3 hours. Never had any issues with those two switches, still work like a charm. They need a clean up sometimes when the bilge is too dirty since some dirt tent to accumulate behind the metal plates keeping the switch ON longer than needed (just throw a bucket of water on the switch or use compressed air).
Barentsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, reviews, switch, water witch