Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2018, 07:10   #1

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78
Water tank access ports still leaking

So far three out 4 water tanks are leaking at the inspection ports. I pryed them out followed the directions; sanded and cleaned the tank where the port sits, sanded and cleaned the port itself, applied 5200, reset them, waited the appropriate week and then filled them. They leaked!!
So I did it again, being very fastidious and careful I also cleaned the mating surfaces with acetone this time and used enough 5200 to bed them nicely. I waited the appropriate week again before filling them. They still leak!! WTH!!
Is 5200 not the appropriate material for plastic tanks or am I doing something wrong?
The extra 5200 is around the white port is actually Westmarine 8200 and is me trying to keep the 2nd leak from leaking without removing everything......didn’t work.
We’re shoving off Tuesday and this is frustrating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9B839D78-2CDD-4269-A497-4563590793FA.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	181069   Click image for larger version

Name:	31EE9242-3C17-411B-9B35-D58C7B1D4028.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	181070  

SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 07:57   #2

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: Water tank access ports still leaking

I've been a marine professional for more than 4 decades and can honestly say that is the worst and sloppiest installation I've encountered. Clean that mess completely off and install new, proper access covers precisely per the manufacturer's instructions.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 08:23   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
I've been a marine professional for more than 4 decades and can honestly say that is the worst and sloppiest installation I've encountered. Clean that mess completely off and install new, proper access covers precisely per the manufacturer's instructions.
Well said. 👍
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 08:29   #4

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com

Thanks for your well thought out input and personal comments. The Previous Owner apparently had the same issue as “more silicone” seemed to be the answer for all the inspection ports.

I did follow the instructions I could find for this work and these almost 40 year old tanks and my results were beautifully aesthetic but it didn’t work. The second time I cleaned everything and bedded them again but using more of the sealant. I still have small leaks.

So if you can’t or are unwilling to actually help me, go watch the game while I finish prepping the boat to leave for the Bahamas next week and I’ll wait for someone else that’s actually done this that can offer something worthwhile.
Old 22-11-2018, 08:51   #5

SgtPitt,

The guy was right. That's tough love he gave you.

The right thing to do is get rid of all that mess.

Clean it perfectly down to plastic.

Get the correct rubber gasket or failing that, at least use some of the gray buytl rubber sealant tape around it until you can get the proper gasket in place if leaving soon.
Old 22-11-2018, 08:58   #6

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

Not sure if it will help, but here are two suggestions:

1. If you can, switch to something like these ports from Vetus; they're great, easy to install and don't leak - period!

https://www.vetus.com/blog/inspection-port-ilt.html

2. If you can't, then my suggestion is to pull it all out and do it again, but using a lot less of the adhesive. More is not better - you want the proper amount of sealant such that you get just a bit of squeeze out when you put them together.

BTW, what are the tanks made of?
It's my understanding that 5200 is not good for Polypropylene and worse for Polyethylene.

Regards,
Old 22-11-2018, 09:00   #7

Boat: 1979 Cape Dory 30 Cutter

Silicone imbeds itself in the surface it is applied to. No other sealant I am aware of will stick to silicone worth a damn. You have to get ALL of the silicone off before you will get a good seal. You may have to buy a special silicone solvent or sand the crap out of the surfaces.

When you use a lot of sealant you create the potential for air cavities. And trust me if there is a way out water will find it.

My CD30 water tanks have access ports that look like the second picture you posted. On mine the port is part of the tank and the clear cover screws down into it. The only time mine leak is when the tank is pressurized. Make sure your tank isn't getting pressurized.

I would clean and sand the surfaces and install the ports with G-Flex. Make sure your tanks are empty and leave the cover off so it can dry all around. Less is more. You want a single solid bead all the way around tall enough that it has to be compressed when the parts are joined.
J.Kitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 09:29   #8

Thanks for the comments. I don’t know what the tanks are made of, they’re original equipment and Anondo Plastics and Krakor, Inc have no info on what to use as a bonding agent.
When we’re done with this trip, I’ll replace all four ports with a better system, until then, I have to use what I’ve got. We’re on the boat, in a Marina, left our vehicle in Colorado and are taking care of last minute items......which seem to keep increasing.

I sanded the bejeezus out of the mating surfaces and cleaned them w acetone. I just now pulled one of the ports out, quite easily. The 5200 does NOT bond to these plastic tanks and the 40 year material they originally used isn’t identifiable.

Yes, I know they look like hell, but pretty didn’t work so I tried ugly, that didn’t work either.

Is there a two part agent that will bond to these plastic tanks?
Old 22-11-2018, 09:29   #9

Boat: Hunter, 420 Passage

I had a similar problem, I had fine hairline cracks around the opening of the tank, Don't know if you have the same problem just an idea.
And yes I don't understand some of the comments from the crowd when you are sincerely trying to find an answer to a stubborn problem...
Carver Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 09:40   #10

Boat: 1979 Cape Dory 30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
G Flex
J.Kitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 09:45   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I feel your pain and am no expert but I believe 5200 is a bedding compound rather than a sealant. Sealing from the outside is difficult but I'm not sure how to seal from the inside. I have experienced similar problems. Sometimes you have to pay a pro and get a rock solid written guarantee. I believe plastic sealant is silicon.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 09:45   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
Thanks for the comments. I don’t know what the tanks are made of, they’re original equipment and Anondo Plastics and Krakor, Inc have no info on what to use as a bonding agent.
When we’re done with this trip, I’ll replace all four ports with a better system, until then, I have to use what I’ve got. We’re on the boat, in a Marina, left our vehicle in Colorado and are taking care of last minute items......which seem to keep increasing.

I sanded the bejeezus out of the mating surfaces and cleaned them w acetone. I just now pulled one of the ports out, quite easily. The 5200 does NOT bond to these plastic tanks and the 40 year material they originally used isn’t identifiable.

Yes, I know they look like hell, but pretty didn’t work so I tried ugly, that didn’t work either.

In short, no.

Bonding is your mistake.

You need a gasket, which is what these ports all had originally.

After the trip get a real gasket.

A gasket can less reliably be made from a soft sealant. But I'd use butyl tape instead (Amazon to the marina? Uber? Lyft? ).

If you make the gasket from sealant, put sealant on and tighten loosely so there is just a little pressure on the sealant. After it dries, then tighten things down a bit more so there is good pressure on the gasket but don't tighten it down super hard so as not to crush the gasket you just made from goop.

When making the goop gasket, it may be helpful to put a lubricant/release agent like wax paper between the part you'll be twisting on and the goop. This will let you put pressure/twist on the assembly without putting that rotation into the goop gasket.

Otherwise, get sufficient thickness of butyl tape around where the gasket should be and just tighten down firmly. That'll hold it until you are done with the trip.

Actually it'll hold forever until you reopen the port.
Old 22-11-2018, 09:57   #13

I'm a fan of cork rubber style gaskets. They dont give it away, and a bit hard to find, but it works well. However, If that were mine I would buy good ports, level the surface and install them.
Silicone is tenacious and frankly if that's what it had originally, I would use it. I know "it's not marine stuff", but it works very well for water.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 09:58   #14

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

I agree Terra's comments do not belong on this forum. I also think a gasket may be worth a try, but the tanks are flexible so may not hold either without a a bonding agent I've had great success with Lexal.I't the stickiest sealant I've ever used. Just don't get any on you, it takes days before you can rub it off.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 10:02   #15

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Another comment was the tank may be pressurized. Good point, check the vents as pressure will create pinholes as it sets up.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ports, water