Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2022, 01:58   #1

Boat: Maxi 84 (8.4M)
Water seeping through stress cracks in hull

Spelling "Through stress cracks in hull"

How bad is this?
My Maxi 84 took a few big bumps some years ago.
Developed stress cracks, visible on inside of hull, under benches...
Did not seem to be an issue until now, the bilge was filled with water, clear and clean I thought it was a fresh water leak, could not see any water coming from sole, or running into bilge from above. I now noticed seepage from the stress cracks (Laid paper towel on them). Still no obvious water path into bilge except from the pass through hole on either side of cross beam.

what does this mean?
Completely saturated hull?
Can I seal the stress cracks?
Need to drop keel?
Is it like a wood boat as it seems to be slowing, just launched 2 weeks?

Photos show inside hull under bench and one side of bilge where water is dripping.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220526_184638910.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	258447

Name:	IMG_20220526_193358306.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	258448
eurog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2022, 07:09   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Water seeping through steps cracks in hull

When a keel hits something it rotates to the back, pulling the hulldown at the front of the keel and up at the trailing edge. The hull may then crack in those two areas. The extent of the hull damage in your case is not clear, but you are showing signs of it. When you can pull the boat, do a very careful inspection, probably with professional help, and determine what you need to do to repair/reinforce it.

Sorry to bring you news of an expensive repair in the making. Good luck with it.
Old 27-05-2022, 07:28   #3

Boat: Tartan 40
Water seeping through steps cracks in hull

I think this is a very big deal as this strongly points to delamination and significant structural damage to your hull in that area. Probably even worse if your hull is cored.
I’d be very nervous to sail a boat with grounding induced stress cracks, and terrified if they are leaking seawater.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2022, 14:05   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Water seeping through stress cracks in hull

If the boat's a lot slower, it might be due to there being a lot of water which has worked its way into the hull. Better get her back on the hard, and drain it. I do not know how to fix what is wrong myself. I would require a lot of help, not only learning what needs to happen, but also about vacuum bagging, because you're going to need to get the salt residue out.

Ann
Old 27-05-2022, 15:12   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
If the boat's a lot slower, it might be due to there being a lot of water which has worked its way into the hull. Better get her back on the hard, and drain it. I do not know how to fix what is wrong myself. I would require a lot of help, not only learning what needs to happen, but also about vacuum bagging, because you're going to need to get the salt residue out.

Ann

I think he means the LEAKS are slowing. Wooden boats swell, and even FRP swells a little, and grow seals small holes.

Not a big boat, but worth a pro evaluation unless you are quite the advanced DIY.
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/maxi-84
Old 27-05-2022, 15:58   #6

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

OP you need to get a professional to visit your boat and take a look. Any boat builder can check if the cracks are serious or are simply cosmetic. Those of us happy keyboard warriors, in distant parts, really can't help you.

But on a positive, you're at one of the biggest ports in Sweden so jump on Google and find a local boat builder or surveyor, and spend the money on an hour or so of their time. Be with them when they check the boat and probably best to lift her out of the water.

A particularly nice photo, I think, of Gothenburg under moonlight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Göteborg_in_moon_light.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	438.9 KB
ID:	258488  
Old 27-05-2022, 16:14   #7

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Any insurance on boat? Afraid time to call them.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 03:49   #8

Probably it is the salt that is slowing the intake of water. It might seal it completely.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 04:23   #9

Boat: Nordship 808

I'm not sure that I understand these pictures, and I am really impressed by the conclusions som posters here reach.

In the paper towel picture, the water seems to come out precisely at the drain, which is where any water would come out.

The "cracks" picture seems to be from under one of the side-bunks, correct?
That is quite far away from the keel, and would not be the result of any "Bumping"...
If the "crack" picture is somehow from behind the keel, they would not be in that direction.
If the picture is from the front cabin, it's quite a long way in front of the keel, and would probably also not come from any "bumping".
Could be just scratches from some equipment stoved in that area?
Would be great if you could clarify exactly where that image was taken.

Of course you should have a proffesional take a look, but I wouldn't be too worried based on these pictures.

P.S. These boats were built very well (have never heard of any Maxi with blisters even though many many thousands were built) and I don't think "bumping" would make serious damage to the hull.
SaylorMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 04:57   #10
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Taste the water. Get a couple of opinions too.
Water could be from above (rain) or aboard (tanks, sump, bilge) or below (seawater).
Sip and smell it like fine wine, noting if there are flavor “notes” from “la sourcé”
Old 29-05-2022, 05:11   #11

Boat: Nordship 808

Oh and also, if the water has seeped through the hull it would absolutely not be clear, so if that's the case I would worry even less.
And of course taste it, like another poster suggested, that is the first thing to do If it is salt water you will not be in doubt. If in doubt, it's probably fresh water.

But please let us hear what you find out, if/when you get an opinion from a pro.
SaylorMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 11:48   #12

Boat: Maxi 84 (8.4M)

Thanks for the confirmation, guess I thought it was bad myself, obviously water leaking thorough cracks is not something a good boat should be doing.

(Saylormade) The picture of the cracks are from under the bench, 2 benches both with cracks, (P&SB). The paper towel pic showing leaking but where the water is coming from is not obvious. I also laid some towel on the cracks and saw immediately wet spots. Now I believe the water is seeping directly through the main structure and into the bilge, not from the cabin sole.
Under the gally is another more pronounced delammed crack, nothing leaking there.

For those interested... It was a massive (not bragging) bump, bounced on the keel for 60-90 seconds, happened maybe 4 years ago and the cracks have been present since. I've always had water in the bilge and have been confused how it got there, always thought it was my leaky windows. I resealed them last year which made me notice more now the continued water.
It has now mostly stopped, so some expansion must have taken place. Not a nice thought to understand where it's coming from.

In the past the water was always a bit oily and dirty and I thought it was diesel, never found any fuel leaks. Now I am thinking the oily residue may be chemicals from the lamented hull. And now that it's clear, that just means all the local contaminants have been rinsed out???

When it happened I did have it pulled and checked, maybe not as thorough as I would have liked but I think it's a common thing to bump things out here and the boat guy was pretty lackadaisical about it.

I do have insurance, but it would be a write-off if so, it's a 1974 build, not worth much to anyone but us. However, was out in it today, quick little shake down 6kts DW full main and 3/4 Genoa, good little boat.

Thanks for your time and input, will talk to some boat people here.
Have a great summer.

Name:	IMG_20210822_134909022_HDR.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	452.7 KB
ID:	258597
eurog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 12:56   #13

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

I suggest you buy a battery tester for testing the specific gravity (SG) of the distilled water electrolyte water in lead acid batteries. Like one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-Hyd...ps%2C42&sr=8-9

It will cost you pennies, relatively speaking.

Suck up a sample of sea water & note the SG reading.
Suck up a sample of fresh water & note the reading.
Now suck up a sample of your bilge water & note the reading.

The result will inform your next action. If it is sea water, you obviously have a major problem which will require a proper repair. Ideally sooner rather than later but if you have a foam core underwater hull which has been letting in water for 4 years, you have an issue to sort out. Surely though the foam used is closed cell so should not soak up water in which case its a matter of delamination & rebonding?

Either way, the first thing you need to know is an objective test of your bilge water - this type of battery tester is the cheapest possible way to do that properly.

Good luck.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, water