Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2015, 10:00   #1

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 ft
Water Maker Installation

Getting ready for cruising. I am planning on installing a water maker in my 1996 Hunter 42 Passage. Looking for any suggestions on where to locate, size, brand. Any and all suggestions or ideas appreciated.

Also any ideas for mounting/stowing kayaks other than lashing to life lines.
gkunkle999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 19:00   #2

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Water Maker Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkunkle999 View Post
Getting ready for cruising. I am planning on installing a water maker in my 1996 Hunter 42 Passage. Looking for any suggestions on where to locate, size, brand. Any and all suggestions or ideas appreciated.

Also any ideas for mounting/stowing kayaks other than lashing to life lines.
GKunkle,

Welcome to the forum.

RE: Kayaks, we decided to use the Garhauer kayak racks that attach to the base of your stanchions. They work well for inside waters, but we would not be comfortable having our sea kayaks in them when off shore. I believe Magma [the BBQ manufacturers] make a similar version. [Here is a link to a photo on our blog showing one of our kayaks in the rack.]

RE: Watermaker: First, here is the link to a recent discussion on this topic on this forum. [I found it using the Google Custom Search feature under the forum Search menu, above.]

The answers you receive will be difficult to focus [for me anyway...] without knowing more about how you will use your boat. For instance, it will be helpful for those responding to better understand your onboard power options [DC battery bank capacity, charging options and capacities, generator, etc.] your anticipated potable water usage/consumption, and potable water storage capacity, among other things.

There are many very knowledgable forum members with water makers, and several who are in the business. Listen to their feedback.

As an example to help get you started I will describe how it was done on our boat [by the previous owners...] We have a very reliable older, modular Spectra water maker that runs on 12VDC. It produces an average of 12 US Gallons/hour using ~ 1.2 12VDC AmpHours/Gallon. Your research will reveal that is pretty efficient from a 12VDC perspective.

We store 220 US Gallons in two tanks. That allows the two of us to go for 10+ days (and much longer if necessary) between water making cycles. Our consumption includes the luxury of a clothes washer/dryer and hot showers when desired.

Others may choose higher output systems that run on either 12VDC or 110VAC via generator. But for us, the 12GPH is a sweet spot for production vs. frequency of water need. [i.e., We wait until we are getting low on water to maximize water maker run time- which is desirable per the manufacturer.]

I hope this helps get you started with your projects.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 28-12-2015, 19:23   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Choosing the right watermaker is a bit of the the tougher task. Which brand and size is going to depend on your real needs and your boats capabilities. Talk to several people in the business and see what they have to say. There are a lot of questions you need to ask and have answered and a good seller will have plenty of questions for you. One thing I do know about watermaker installations is that you can have ten identical watermakers, ten identical boats, and there will be ten different installations. A lot depends upon the space you are personally willing to give up on your boat for the watermaker.
I sell Katadyn/Spectra systems and I'd be more than happy to take all the time you'd like to answer any questions you might have and load you up with a lot of questions you might not have thought of about all watermakers in general.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
(954) 515-7077
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 19:25   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
GKunkle,

Welcome to the forum.

RE: Kayaks, we decided to use the Garhauer kayak racks that attach to the base of your stanchions. They work well for inside waters, but we would not be comfortable having our sea kayaks in them when off shore. I believe Magma [the BBQ manufacturers] make a similar version. [Here is a link to a photo on our blog showing one of our kayaks in the rack.]

RE: Watermaker: First, here is the link to a recent discussion on this topic on this forum. [I found it using the Google Custom Search feature under the forum Search menu, above.]

The answers you receive will be difficult to focus [for me anyway...] without knowing more about how you will use your boat. For instance, it will be helpful for those responding to better understand your onboard power options [DC battery bank capacity, charging options and capacities, generator, etc.] your anticipated potable water usage/consumption, and potable water storage capacity, among other things.

There are many very knowledgable forum members with water makers, and several who are in the business. Listen to their feedback.

As an example to help get you started I will describe how it was done on our boat [by the previous owners...] We have a very reliable older, modular Spectra water maker that runs on 12VDC. It produces an average of 12 US Gallons/hour using ~ 1.2 12VDC AmpHours/Gallon. Your research will reveal that is pretty efficient from a 12VDC perspective.

We store 220 US Gallons in two tanks. That allows the two of us to go for 10+ days (and much longer if necessary) between water making cycles. Our consumption includes the luxury of a clothes washer/dryer and hot showers when desired.

Others may choose higher output systems that run on either 12VDC or 110VAC via generator. But for us, the 12GPH is a sweet spot for production vs. frequency of water need. [i.e., We wait until we are getting low on water to maximize water maker run time- which is desirable per the manufacturer.]

I hope this helps get you started with your projects.

Cheers!

Bill

If you ever need any help or advice on your watermaker Bill. Don't hesitate to call me anytime.

(954) 515-7077
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 20:13   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkunkle999 View Post
You can view some photos of water maker installations on various boats here, which will give you a mental concept of the size and mounting space required for a 120v AC high output water maker.
Watermaker Reviews & Testimonials | Cruise RO Water & Power

The Big starting point question for you to make is how will you power the water maker. There are two schools of though there and the "right answer" will depend on YOU and how YOU want to set-up your boat.

I'll summarize the two schools of thought for you, but remember there is no "right answer", but just perhaps a "best answer" once you understand the strengths/weaknesses of the different approaches and mesh that with what you need on your boat.

[[Now I sell 120v AC high out put units in full disclosure but I also see the value in the 12v DC lower output units...it all depends on what you want/like]

12v DC Water Makers

Advantages:
The ability to make water strictly from your 12v DC battery bank and have the power replenished from your Solar, Wind, Engine alternator when motoring, or generator.
Do not need a generator to power.
Disadvantages:
Higher cost with a more technically innovative energy recovery pump
Lower fresh water output per hour
Leading Names:
Spectra would honestly be my only real choice here, their service is top notch, and when it comes to going 12v DC what really matters is how many Amp Hours it takes you to make a gallon of fresh water. Flat out, no one beats Spectra at about 1 Gallon per Amp hour.

120v AC Systems
Advantages:
You can make a lot of water quickly (20 or 30GPH) for less initial purchase cost while running your ships generator or a Honda 2000 generator.
Make water 2-3 times per week due to the large output.
Have a system with more off the shelf components that helps keep servicing costs down.
Disadvantages:
You need to have either a Generator (Diesel or Honda 2000) but you can use a 2000w inverter while motoring with your alternator running. But you are looking at a primary generator powered system.
Leading Names:
Echo-Tech, Cruise RO (Me), FCI Water Makers, Water Makers Inc, There are lots of 120v AC water maker companies because most of these types are using more off the shelf technology without energy recovery pumps. So the difference from Company to Company has a lot to do with the extend they load the water maker up with electronic.

If your boat already has a diesel generator that you plan to use several times per week, then the argument for a 120v AC water maker is easy. Just flip on the water maker during your already planned generator run time. If your boat doesn't have a generator and you don't want one, then likewise your decision gets easy, you buy a Spectra hands down in my opinion.

Here is a link to download a copy of my 20GPH 120v AC Water Maker
http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com/uploads/sm20.pdf
You can get a good feeling for most AC 120v water makers by giving it a review. Now we don't play the electronic controls game, so some water makers that have those will add $2-8K (yes that is right..a HUGE adder) for the same output as a manual system to trick it out with all the latest touch screen controls and IPhone connectivity. Me...as a live aboard cruiser myself well I think that stuff is crazy, but there is a market for it, and if you go to the Big Boat Shows around the Country you see them everywhere.

Good luck with the decision and Tellie is a valuable resource and I try to be as well.
Call or email me:
P 619-609-3432
E Rich@CruiseROWater.com
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 10:17   #6

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
If you ever need any help or advice on your watermaker Bill. Don't hesitate to call me anytime.

(954) 515-7077
Thank you, Tellie.

Will do.

Cheers!

Bill

Tags
installation, water