Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2015, 13:50   #16

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: washing machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Umm, you've never seen a washing machine on a boat?

It's not at all uncommon these days. I've had one on my boat these last six years and it is one of the most treasured pieces of gear on board. Very reliable and incredibly useful. You don't need it for short coastal cruises, but dealing with dirty clothes and bedding is such a PITA on a long cruise or when living aboard, that the washing machine is worth its weight in gold for these uses.

Mine is a Eudora (Eumenia in some markets) Sparmeister 802 washer/dryer. It was installed in my boat as part of the original build and has its own cabinet in the passage cabin. It is a heavy, simple, primitive, but very robust device which has given almost no trouble. Small capacity and even smaller for drying -- you wouldn't have it in your house. It exhausts the drying air right into the cabin -- no vent or condensor. It uses tons of water. But it works.

A washing machine on a boat is a bit like a bear which dances -- it's not how well it dances, but that it dances at all, which is impressive I use it even underway -- it runs off the inverter.

I agree, if you are going to spend any extended time at all on your boat, you should try to have all the comforts of home , because, lets face it , it is ! Nobody wants to camp for to long , especially the females .

I have a Splendide.

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 15:21   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Washing machine

I have Whirlpool that looks enough like the Splendide (many have recommended) to have been made in the same factory. My Whirlpool has been unreliable. There are many similar machines under various brands including Sears, Maytag, and so on. Only the front panel is different.
My Whirlpool was so unreliable I bought a newer used one to take apart for parts. The price of a new motor and motor control card was more than the original price of the washer.
It can be a lot of work to install a washer only to take it out in a few months for repairs. I have done it three times in three years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	washer.JPG
Views:	480
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	103534  
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 15:46   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I have Whirlpool that looks enough like the Splendide (many have recommended) to have been made in the same factory. My Whirlpool has been unreliable. There are many similar machines under various brands including Sears, Maytag, and so on. Only the front panel is different.
My Whirlpool was so unreliable I bought a newer used one to take apart for parts. The price of a new motor and motor control card was more than the original price of the washer.
It can be a lot of work to install a washer only to take it out in a few months for repairs. I have done it three times in three years.
Sorry to hear of your troubles with this I have gear like that, but our Eudora has been really good. It's now 14 years old and has been in constant use in my ownership for six years. When there are females on board it seems that it never stops running (nor do I stop running to replenish the water tanks ). In all that time, I've only had one breakdown -- a loose bolt. Knock on wood.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 16:03   #19

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

what! No gin tank but onboard washing machine? Oh the humanity!
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:32   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindanger70 View Post
REALLY!!! a washing machine on a boat, and not a power boat. Well I think I have heard it all now and am ready to quit living and sailing my boat after over 60 years on the water and boating. The cruising life is supposed to take you away from these needs not add to reducing your vessels space by something that will surely fail when you want it most, but I'm easy go ahead indulge til you realize that it was a dumb fantasy and you don't need the repairs aggravation. By the way, by all means stay away from Splendide, there equipment has the highest rate of failure.
I can't believe you have never heard of a washing machine on a cruising boat. If you have the space and resources, why wouldn't you have the best to make life easy. The old days of living rough and rationing food and water are gone. The world has changed a cruising is no longer camping on water.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:11   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
what! No gin tank but onboard washing machine? Oh the humanity!

Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:16   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
In your opinion. But of course, everyone else is just as entitled to their opinions as you are to yours. I can't imagine having a washing machine on my boat, but I'm certainly not arrogant enough to think that anyone who doesn't share that attitude is somehow wrong.

To each his own.

(Never mind the fact that you just resurrected a 10-year-old thread, apparently for the sole purpose of squawking at others.)

So if that's true than why did I receive a a 10 year old post in my in box and I would never presume someone else is wrong on any vessel. However, thanks for agreeing with me.
captaindanger70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 19:30   #23

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

Whirlpool Duet.
The compact washers tend to break down more often. But if room is limited..

Why can't things remain where i carelessly left them?
Old 11-06-2015, 21:23   #24

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindanger70 View Post
REALLY!!! a washing machine on a boat, and not a power boat. Well I think I have heard it all now and am ready to quit living and sailing my boat after over 60 years on the water and boating. The cruising life is supposed to take you away from these needs not add to reducing your vessels space by something that will surely fail when you want it most, but I'm easy go ahead indulge til you realize that it was a dumb fantasy and you don't need the repairs aggravation. By the way, by all means stay away from Splendide, there equipment has the highest rate of failure.
WOW, that has to be the record, reviving a thread that's been dead for 10 years and then some.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washing