Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2009, 16:41   #1

Boat: Tartan 34C
Wanted: Big, Cheap Boat

This is also posted in the "Monohull" section; I figured my search fits the "what to buy" and "how to fix" sections about equally.

I know, it's the same old saw - "Oh no, another newbie who thinks he can fix what others have neglected for less than the cost of buying right to begin with!" While I accept the perils and limitations (and expenses) that accompany a project boat, I have to say that I have successfully bottom-fished 1) my own house and two rental props (built or totally remodeled with my own hands), 2) a race car (started with a $600 hulk, fixed and modified myself, and chased Porsches for about 10% of what they spent), and 3) my last boat (a well-worn and cheap Ranger 33 that needed some care and attention, plus a few upgraded parts).

What I want is a large (33'+ -- big family) boat that needs skilled work more than purchased parts. The best rule is that it has to be WORTH fixing, a decent platform, not a piece of junk. Anywhere between Annapolis and Miami is OK (I'm in NC), especially if it can be sailed as is (or soon) or is in a cheap place where I can fix it to move it.

I'm hoping that with all of the eyes and ears on this board that I can find a decent boat and get back on the water. I love it, and so do my kids. I lost the Ranger in the Big D and I've looked seriously at a few other boats that turned out to be liabilities rather than assets, or out of reach. Fiberglass is OK if not terminally delaminated or core-rotted; ferro-cement is fine if not cracked or rusting (I can build cabin tops). Steel and wood are not preferred. A gutted rebuild, never finished, with the parts still around would be great.

I'm not destitute or homeless, but buying what I want complete is not an option. I actually enjoy the process of rebuilding things once thought past their prime. If I can get a boat out of someone's yard (personal or professional) and we both feel good about it, I'd say that's a fine day.

Most of the boats I've looked at have been at salvage value, a few hundred at most. If YOU think it's worth a look, it probably is. Definitely worth an e-mail. Thanks!

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote