Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2020, 05:01   #1

Boat: 1982 O'Day 37
Question Want to order a custom switch, but don't know how to ask for what I want

I'm installing a new AIS transponder on my boat. Coming off the device, there are 2 wires for "AIS Transmit"... basically, if you close the circuit between them, the AIS transponder will transmit the info, and if the circuit is open, it's in "receive only mode"... which is nice, since I usually keep the radio/ ais receiver on while I'm in the boat just to keep aware of what's going on.

What I'd like to do is order a custom illuminated rocker switch for AIS XMIT, where it's lit on one side so you can see it, but when you turn it on, the other side lights up and closes the circuit.

The problem is... the lighted switches I'm seeing are expecting to be powered through the switch, i.e., sending 12v through the circuit for the lights but also through the closed circuit, instead of just closing it. I don't want to get sophisticated with powering some relay or the like (just one more thing to break), so I'm hoping to find a rocker switch of some standard size (such that I can order a custom face for it) that has one light always on (assuming power is available), one light that comes on when the switch is turned on, and a separate circuit that is not connected to power but just closes when the switch is turned on.

Does such a thing exist? What would it be called/ named/ designated? Where could I find such a thing?

Failing that, I'd also be ok with a pushbutton switch, but with the same basic criteria: I can find it in the dark, I can tell when it's on, and I can get a custom face for it.

All assistance is appreciated, thanks
jholovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:12   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Want to order a custom switch, but don't know how to ask for what I want

That's too tall an order for me to even keep straight in my mind. But, here's an approach to finding what you want, the first page of switches in the McMaster-Carr catalog. The catalog lets you narrow down your choice through a sorting system.

https://www.mcmaster.com/switches
Old 04-02-2020, 07:58   #3

Boat: 1982 O'Day 37

...the problem is, I don't know what to sort by...
jholovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 18:51   #4

Boat: Norseman 447

A quick search didn’t find exactly what you were asking for. Almost all the lighted switches I found have the LED powered by one side of the switch (depending on whether you want it on all the time or only when the switch is ON).

I did find at <www.allelectronics.com> a switch LRS-38 which is a 2-pole switch. They didn’t have a wiring diagram, but I’d guess that it has the LED connected to one pole while the other pole could control the AIS. You’d still have to add an additional LED to have one on all the time and a second to tell if the switch is closed. But the switch is only $2.20 so you could afford to order an LED from them, too.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 18:56   #5

Boat: Norseman 447

The last message was cut off somehow. Try www.allelectronics.com. They’ve got a lighted switch, LRS-38, with 2 poles. I’d guess that the LED is connected to one pole and the other could control the AIS. You’d still need to add a second LED that’s always on, but the switch was only $2.20 and they also have 12v LEDs that mount into a panel for about $1.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 21:09   #6

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholovacs View Post
I'm installing a new AIS transponder on my boat. Coming off the device, there are 2 wires for "AIS Transmit"... basically, if you close the circuit between them, the AIS transponder will transmit the info, and if the circuit is open, it's in "receive only mode"... which is nice, since I usually keep the radio/ ais receiver on while I'm in the boat just to keep aware of what's going on.

What I'd like to do is order a custom illuminated rocker switch for AIS XMIT, where it's lit on one side so you can see it, but when you turn it on, the other side lights up and closes the circuit.

The problem is... the lighted switches I'm seeing are expecting to be powered through the switch, i.e., sending 12v through the circuit for the lights but also through the closed circuit, instead of just closing it. I don't want to get sophisticated with powering some relay or the like (just one more thing to break), so I'm hoping to find a rocker switch of some standard size (such that I can order a custom face for it) that has one light always on (assuming power is available), one light that comes on when the switch is turned on, and a separate circuit that is not connected to power but just closes when the switch is turned on.

Does such a thing exist? What would it be called/ named/ designated? Where could I find such a thing?

Failing that, I'd also be ok with a pushbutton switch, but with the same basic criteria: I can find it in the dark, I can tell when it's on, and I can get a custom face for it.

Not exactly sure what you're asking for, or that it couldn't be better accomplished with a couple of led indicator lights and a single switch, but perhaps this might suffice? Or be made to work?

https://www.hawkusa.com/manufacturers/nte/switches/sealed-rocker-switch/54-241w?gclid=CjwKCAiAyeTxBRBvEiwAuM8dnZDjWuGP2FCYqFi TWJ-Bc7v9WIyddAh1xQlJH0Ae4ZWxYeDDWJEuoxoCXtMQAvD_BwE
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:41   #7

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon

Not knowing exactly the internal design of the device I would be hesitant to use the wires to power any external device - an LED typically would draw 20mA, whereas the wires that you short out to start transmitting may be logic level designed to carry microA.

Why not use a double pole switch, where the 1st pole is used to close the tx wires and the 2nd pole is used to light an LED from a separate source.
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:05   #8

Sounds like you need a double pole switch. One pole to control the illumination, and the other pole to make the AIS connection. Like https://rockerswitchpros.com/product/vad1-g66b/

Allan.
ayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:15   #9

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
...the problem is, I don't know what to sort by...
Any decent electronics store will have 12v lighted rocker switches. I rewired my Jacuzzi with them a few years back and they're not expensive.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:18   #10

Boat: X-Yachts X4.9 15.0m

Carling Technologies has a huge range of rocker switches which are widely used for marine applications. https://www.carlingtech.com/rocker-switches

You need a double pole, double throw configuration. One pole will switch the AIS circuit. The other pole can switch the illumination. The V-series can be specified with two separate LEDS which have their own external contacts. The HR-series looks cool with halo illumination to identify the switch outline and illumination on the rocker to show switch status.

You will need to spend some time with the data sheet to figure out the precise part number.
dcarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:41   #11

Boat: Nordic 44

What you are asking for is a two pole, single throw (2PST) illuminated switch. You could also use a double throw (2PDT) and not use two connections. These are very common. All electronics, as mentioned above will carry some - they will charge you a lot for shipping. Any good local electronics store, if there are any still around should carry what you need. Even some auto supply stores will have them.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:41   #12

Boat: Kelly Peterson 46

Keep in mind that the switch function you're looking at shorts to ground, not to positive. It's also multi function, so you can use it to enable/disable tx or mute the alarm. I love the alarm mute as I use the vesper as an anchor alarm. I change the function in the app depending upon what I'm doing....

I don't use a lit switch, but know the official switch is lit. Why not just buy the switch from Vesper? Alternatively, Put a volt meter on the line and see what it provides. If you are not familiar with electronics, I wouldn't DIY, just buy the vesper piece (my opinion only).

https://www2.vespermarine.com/external-alarm-switch

here is Vesper's wiring diagram. https://downloads.vespermarine.com/V...703_A4_web.pdf
bradfordharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:48   #13

Boat: close to buying
Send a message via Yahoo to mark n brown Send a message via Skype™ to mark n brown

use a double pole double throw standard switch and 2 different colored led indicator lights-- connect one side to the 2 leds---the other side to the 2 transmit wires
mark n brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 21:36   #14

Boat: Outremer 50S

You’re looking for an “independently illuminated” switch with both “indication illumination” and “search (or location) illumination”. To manage the independent illumination you’ll need a two-pole switch, one pole for the AIS dry contacts, the other to manage the lights.

The big boys (DigiKey, Mouser, Allied) don’t seem to stock these and the minimum special order quantity is steep. There is an RV place, Dirty Parts that carries a bunch of options from Carling. The link is to a red/green, dual independent illumination, DPST switch. If you use this one you would connect as follows:

AIS wire - pins 2 and 3

+12V for the light to pins 5 (switched) and 8 (for the search light)

- (negative) to pins 7 and 9

Jumper pins 6 and 10 for the indication light to get power when the switch is on. If you want to change which color is search and which is indicate then swap 8 and 10 in the above pinout.

The pin2/3 circuit is dry, so your AIS will just see the closure. Pin 5 is wetted with your 12V to power the indicator through 6.

Dirty Parts sells the switch without a rocker, they have a bunch of standard and custom options. If none of those suit it is a dead standard Carling Contura V series switch, lots of places to get custom engraved operators. The whole thing should set you back $20-25 at full retail, less if you could find the same thing at a wholesale house.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:59   #15

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26ft

Quote:

How about a two way illuminated switch (that lights up when off). Just add another different colour 12v LED indicator lamp across the ON side (you may have to add a resistor in series with the LED lamp to protect it). See below.

https://www.alertelectrical.com/clic...20%26%20Office
Flamehand is offline   Reply With Quote