Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2019, 06:36   #16

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Re: Wallpaper & Glue & Insulation...oh my.

I know you said no epoxy but I used a two part epoxy filler from Total Boat for just this purpose. Spread it on with a putty knife and sanded. Then painted.

I love the result. Super easy to clean.
Old 26-10-2019, 06:40   #17

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
I know you said no epoxy but I used a two part epoxy filler from Total Boat for just this purpose. Spread it on with a putty knife and sanded. Then painted.

I love the result. Super easy to clean.
Yes, absolutely great stuff. I always made my own with microbaloons.
However, with a pretty strong epoxy allergy I can't use the stuff anymore. So I'm hoping to find an alternative formula.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 22:19   #18

Boat: Vagabond 42

Bondo marine. It's polyester based.
Old 27-10-2019, 01:46   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarian View Post
Bondo marine. It's polyester based.
Exactly!

I have this. I also have polyester resin and fillers.

My concern is if the weave is a good enough mechanical bonding surface or not. Since polyester doesn't stick to epoxy, it's a nearly 100% mechanical bond. Will it hold up against getting banged into when I'm moving some heavy object and accidentally bang into a interior wall with it?

The hull is incredibly stuff so it doesn't flex at all. Assuming flexing won't work it loose since it doesn't flex. But it's a concern putting poly over epoxy.

Thoughts?
Old 28-06-2020, 09:16   #20

Boat: Columbia 10.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Exactly!

I have this. I also have polyester resin and fillers.

My concern is if the weave is a good enough mechanical bonding surface or not. Since polyester doesn't stick to epoxy, it's a nearly 100% mechanical bond. Will it hold up against getting banged into when I'm moving some heavy object and accidentally bang into a interior wall with it?

The hull is incredibly stuff so it doesn't flex at all. Assuming flexing won't work it loose since it doesn't flex. But it's a concern putting poly over epoxy.

Thoughts?
Most fibereglass boats are made with polyester resin. So Bondo would be a chemical bond for many boats. In fact, I have used epoxy over polyester several times where the bond has failed. West Systems tech support explained that I needed to prep the surface with unthickened epoxy first.

Any prep that hides the weave will require sanding unless you use some sort of material covering. Another aspect is that epoxy is inert once it is fully cured. I used a random orbital sander hooked up to my Shopvac to cut down on dust.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 09:27   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
Most fibereglass boats are made with polyester resin. So Bondo would be a chemical bond for many boats. In fact, I have used epoxy over polyester several times where the bond has failed. West Systems tech support explained that I needed to prep the surface with unthickened epoxy first.

Any prep that hides the weave will require sanding unless you use some sort of material covering. Another aspect is that epoxy is inert once it is fully cured. I used a random orbital sander hooked up to my Shopvac to cut down on dust.
Right. That's the accepted way. But...

My hull is made of epoxy and I can't work with epoxy. At all.

It's a bondo (thickened polyester resin) over epoxy situation I'm looking at.

Tags
grass, insulation