Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 08:14   #16

Volvo Engine? How about MTU used by 10-20 others

The comment on high priced V-P parts being available elsewhere is spot on. The MD-series (mine is the MD2030) uses Kubota parts internally and was built by MTU the big European engine building industry. Caterpillar, Northern Lights, Perkins you name it had the exact same engine with just a different name. Under a different, new, thread I'll post the cross information for the MDseries owners.

Why a bigger engine? Why not? When it's needed the HP's are there. When not needed just throttle down. But there's more to it than that. The engine is just one part of a system. Fuel tank, filters and lines - engine - transmission - properly sized prop....it all has to work as a team. Mine starts with a dual 500C racors and finishes with a feathering prop that is 2 1/2" greater in diameter than the old fixed blade 12" prop. Bigger does not necessarily mean higher fuel costs.

Finally run that engine at least once a month for 30 minutes or so at WOT (wide open throttle). It'll be the least expensive tune up you'll ever buy.

Cheers

Michael D
Michael D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:29   #17
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael D View Post
Finally run that engine at least once a month for 30 minutes or so at WOT (wide open throttle). It'll be the least expensive tune up you'll ever buy.
good advice
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 16:02   #18

If you are planning on cruising pick an engine where parts are available world wide. Re-powering and installation costs generally will run about 50% of the cost of the new engine. New MD11 Parts are quite expensive and getting hard to find, although are still available. Things like exhaust manifolds are not available any more. regards David
Lowesmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 20:20   #19

Boat: Jeanneua 36
i herd they were giving new volvos away and making ther money on the spare parts(just joking)Its funny though theres two yards here,one services volvos the other yanmas in the yanma yard very little majer work on used moters;volvo yard all the benches all ways full of repairs,gotta tell yuo something........the wind is free,,,,
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 08:40   #20

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 31 Monsun #244 "Aquarius"
Send a message via MSN to inSaNo
My volvo MD11C has been overhauled during the winter of 2008/2009. And she now runs like new.. Yes, it's old diesel technology, but this engine is bullet proof.
Other engines may have a better throttle response, and are smooth and quiet.. But this engine was built to last..

Mine is like 32 years old (older than i am) and i think that it wil keep running forever if properly maintained.

So, why the engine swap? I decided against it, and i think this was the best choice.
inSaNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 15:17   #21

Engine good, tranny good, prop good however there are problems with the shifter still to be worked out. It's a Spinlock system that allows the shifting handle to be removed
(it's actually a winch handle) that in turns removes one more item from the cockpit that tends to foul running rigging when under sail. However it now has difficulty shifting into gear and when in reverse will not come back to neutral. I suspect it's the way the shift cables etc. are set up or have become un setup as it worked fine for quite a while. I'll post how this went when we determine the exact problem as the idea of no winch handle is good, just the tuning of the system I think is the issue. Either way I'll be able to recommend or not recommend it as the next week, month, or so indicates.

Michael D
Michael D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, volvo