Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2017, 11:11   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Varnish or Cetol?

I have a number of areas on my wood where the finish is flaking up. I thought this was varnish, but my slip neighbor says it's cetol. How can I tell what which it is?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rail.PNG
Views:	185
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	151690  
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:37   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Varnish or Cetol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
I have a number of areas on my wood where the finish is flaking up. I thought this was varnish, but my slip neighbor says it's cetol. How can I tell what which it is?
Looks like cetol. In the processs of removing mine and going varnish. Some will call me crazy and I'm aware of the pros and cons but to each his own.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 16:55   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

It probably doesn't matter, since you're at the stage where whatever it is it needs removal and replacement. If you want it to look good, use varnish and follow all the steps. If you don't care how it looks, use cetol, or just buy orange paint at home depot.
I vote for varnish.
Old 11-07-2017, 17:31   #4

Boat: Cooper 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
It probably doesn't matter, since you're at the stage where whatever it is it needs removal and replacement. If you want it to look good, use varnish and follow all the steps. If you don't care how it looks, use cetol, or just buy orange paint at home depot.
I vote for varnish.
That made me laugh but, so true...
Old 11-07-2017, 17:59   #5

Boat: Tashiba-31

The boat had this issue among others when I bought her. I'm taking care of the serious items first and want to hold off on tackling the upper brightwork until next year. That said -

- Do I just leave it as is until next year? ( suggested by sailor on boat next to me)

- Use varnish to cover the spots? (scrap loose material first)

- Use cetol on the bald spots?
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 18:56   #6

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Quote:
I vote for varnish.
See the above...

Our PO used cetol on all the exterior wood, frankly it looks really bad, we will be using varnish when we redo the wood.
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 19:52   #7
rbk

Quote:
or just buy orange paint at home depot.
I vote for varnish.
Hahahaha!!
Old 11-07-2017, 19:55   #8
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
The boat had this issue among others when I bought her. I'm taking care of the serious items first and want to hold off on tackling the upper brightwork until next year. That said -

- Do I just leave it as is until next year? ( suggested by sailor on boat next to me)

- Use varnish to cover the spots? (scrap loose material first)

- Use cetol on the bald spots?
Get off as much as you can with a scraper and let the wood breath. When water gets under it, it can deteriorate rather quick. That said you don't have to take it all off, just the spots where it's lifted and water and algae are growing under the layer of cetol, that's where things go bad.
Old 11-07-2017, 22:26   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

dmk, it's already gone quite thin there, like it's somewhere been stepped on by people boarding, or something. I think starting on it will open a real sack of worms for you at a point when you have other jobs to tackle. I also think you'll find that, having started on it, the project will grow like Topsy, and you won't like the appearance of the comparison of the touched up spots vs. the ones let alone. Perhaps thinking this way is what led the chap on the boat next to you to advise you to wait for next year.

If you want to just do the toe rail, that isn't a huge job. But if you make it spiffy, then all the rest of the timber is going to look unloved by comparison, and stripping and varnishing all that is truly a labor of love.

Good luck with whichever way you decide to go. I can certainly understand if you want to keep the Cetol and patch it up. It's a new to you boat, and you want to go play!

It is true that varnish will look better, but the Cetol will protect the wood, too, and may be "good enough" for you. It is truly a deal of how much effort you personally want to make.

Let us know what you decide.

Ann

Tags
varnish