Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2016, 08:35   #16

Re: Varnish in place or remove to the workshop?

If they are beyond easy on deck recoat you could also remove and replace with stainless steel handrails. Just an modern option.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 07:58   #17

Nice job Sanibel
cjsfsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 10:13   #18

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
It might be a good opportunity to renew the bedding compound and seal the core of the deck.

I removed mine, drilled the holes over-size, filled with epoxy, drilled to the bolt size, then rebedded with new compound. No leaks for a long time, hopefully!

David,
If you intend on keeping your boat for some time, Mark's advice is the best since once they have been re-drilled and filled with epoxy, you will never have to disassemble them again. Just varnishing your rails on an older boat is purely cosmetic and if the core becomes soggy around the handrails from leaks, you'll have a real job on your hands. Faster is never better. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 28-02-2016, 16:45   #19

Boat: 1993 Catalina 34

I spent some time at the boat today and I inspected the handrails. It's clear that the bedding compound is dried out and in need of replacing. Nightmare or not, I'll have to remove the vinyl headliner. Here's my question: How to I remove the bungs so I can get at the nuts? What's the trick?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daviddiscenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 16:54   #20

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

1/8" drill into center of bung down to screwhead. Take a #10 screw and screw it into the hole. It will bottom out against the screwhead and gradually lift it out. Go slow and hope some wiseguy did not decide to epoxy them in place. If they are epoxied, it will lift/splinter the surrounding wood. If you are lucky, the handrails are screwed to the deck rather than thrubolted (although bolted is better).

My boat has an interesting arrangement where a handrail below matches one above, screws from inside handrail go thru the deck and into the topside rail. Pretty slick and no bungs, but a challenge to install solo.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 17:24   #21

Boat: Catalina 38'/ Tiara 33'

I have done both. I found taking them home to be much easier.
MaxwellIns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 17:31   #22

It you are not sure on wether the plugs are glued in, its a good idea to use a forstner bit the same size as the plug and drill the top portion of the plug off, then the center drill and screw trick. Depending on the grain you can pull splinters out with the plug at the very top if there is a lot of run out.
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 20:04   #23

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Ours are bedded with 5200 and they do not leak at all, hence my preference for leaving them in place. I guess if/when they start leaking I'd be much more likely to take them off but then I would probably replace with Plasteak.

The deck around them is solid, so we leave them in place when we work on them. With that said, we no longer varnish - its really just easier to wipe up the spills of whatever we are using as we go along.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
varnish