Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2020, 10:01   #31

Boat: Lazy Jack 32
Re: Vacuum sanding antfouling paint

Update on sanding ablative bottom paint without polluting:

I bought the Mirka DEROS sander (BIG bucks), and a used Ridgid shop vacuum off Craigslist (cheap) and lined the vacuum with a catch bag and a cloth sock Ridgid sells to put over the filter. I put a Home Depot Dust Buddy (a passive centrifugal dust trap) in between the sander and the vacuum. At the marina foreman's request--his only request, once he saw the sander-- I put down a plastic drop cloth to catch chipped paint. The whole arrangement worked well. No dust came from the sanding. True, I spilled some dust detaching all that gear the first time (and vacuumed it up after), but otherwise, the vacuum sucked virtually all of the dust though the abrasive screen (used instead of sand paper) on the sander. The other good thing is that the sander weighs next to nothing, which is a huge advantage when lying on your back sanding the bottom. The sander was expensive, but the other gear saved a couple of hundred over a professional dust remover.

Thanks for all the advice, folks.
Lazy Jack 32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, sanding