Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2009, 16:14   #1

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Vacuum Pump

Can anyone tell me if this pump is acceptable for vacuum bagging? Or is there something else I should be looking at/for. It's about $565.00 Canadian which is about the maximum that I want to spend.
The yellow highlighted one.
Any better solutions??

Thanks,
Extemp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	High-Capacity Vacuum Pump.png
Views:	522
Size:	991.7 KB
ID:	8612  
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 16:32   #2

Boat: Farrier f27
I got a rebuilt one from an industrial surplus co in the midwest for about $85. Then I bought intake & exhaust filters for it. Also it runs on 220V. If you want I could do a little searching for the company's name - they send me flyers now & then and always have them in stock.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 18:39   #3

Boat: "Piscator"
You can get a rebuilt or used one cheaper, and it will work better and last longer. I have had two Kinney vac pumps, a rebuilt KC5 that I used in production for 15 years with no issues except the time it stopped because it was full of semi-solid oil/resin mixture. Cleaned it out in time to save the piece I way working on and it kept on going for years. That one went with my company when I sold it, I bought another a couple years ago on Ebay, a used one that does pump a little oil but has done the job for me. Here is one on Ebay right now: KINNEY KC-2 HIGH VACUUM PUMP 1/4HP - eBay (item 250432702763 end time Jun-26-09 06:16:56 PDT)

Also, you might check McMaster Carr on the web, I think I see your pump for less, and several other choices for less as well.

How big a piece will you be vacuum bagging? How high a vacuum do you want? Will you need a high volume pump to overcome leaks? Lots to consider here.

Picture is of resin infusion under the vac bag of a drawer casing in the galley, about half way done here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo_120708_001.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	8617  
Old 20-06-2009, 18:15   #4

Which parameters?

I think that I'm down to two choices.

1)
Max vacuum
29.0" Hg
Free-air capacity
1.15 cfm (32.5 L/min)
hp 1/4
Amps 3.6

Or

2)
Max vacuum
25.5" Hg
Free-air capacity 1.1 cfm (31.2 L/min)
hp 1/8
Amps 4.2

I'm hoping that you will tell me that 25.5 Hg and 1.1 cfm is good enough, it's about $200.00 cheaper. It should be noted that this unit will not be used that often. It won't be like I'm making a living with it.

Let me know what you think.

Regards,
Extemp.
Old 20-06-2009, 19:58   #5

Boat: "Piscator"
It depends on what you are going to do with it. Free air represents how fast it will pull the air out of the vac bag. You also need enough free air capacity to overcome any leaks in the bag or seal tape until you can locate the leak. I have had large, complicated parts that I had to put both my pumps on them in order to get enough vacuum to be able to find the leaks.

The level of vacuum may be less important, I think some of the pros use a lower vacuum than either of the pumps you are looking at.

It also depends on the size of the piece and how air tight everything is. A big pump can give you good results even with some leaks, a less powerful pump may not.

Either of these pumps should enable you to make reasonable sized pieces of several square feet or more.

Again, if you let us know what you plan to do with a vac pump we can probably give you a better answer.
Old 20-06-2009, 21:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceansandmts View Post
It depends on what you are going to do with it. ..... Again, if you let us know what you plan to do with a vac pump we can probably give you a better answer.
One thing will be a Hardtop for over my Cockpit. Beyond that, I may try to use it for clamping of some veneers and other millwork.
We'll see.

Thanks for the reply.
Extemp.
Old 20-06-2009, 23:46   #7

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
That's a pretty small part. The pump should be ok if you are careful about leaks.

I bought a 5 or 6 CFM "Yellow Jacket" HVAC pump that worked very well for parts about 8'x8' maximum. It sucked down the bags FAST

If you are just laminating glass don't use more than 12-15" of vacuum. More than that and you are sucking out too much resin.

Have a resin trap before the pump
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 21:10   #8

So this is what I've ordered (highlighed).

I know that this is not what some of you recommended but it was available and seamed to fit the bill. It may be a while before I can report back, but I'll let you know how it works out.

Regards,
Extemp.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	My High-Capacity Vacuum Pump.png
Views:	363
Size:	985.9 KB
ID:	8678