Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2018, 09:07   #16

Boat: Rawson 30PH
Re: V-Berth total refit plan.

Watch you weight distribution ... you could end up “bow heavy”. You might want to revisit your anchor chain/ rode plan at the same time (and all other “bow loads”.
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 09:59   #17

Boat: Nordic 44

Wow, 1800 watts for a soldering iron? Mine is 23 watts and often too big.

A big issue with a workshop/office forward is boat movement. Do you want to sail the boat? The most motion in a sailboat is at it's bow. You will need to secure or stow everything up there to sail the boat.

That plus as others commenters have said - boats are not cubes - the space under the V quickly diminishes as you go forward.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 10:13   #18

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
The sum of the branch circuits can be more than 30 amps. You just can't use more than 30 amps at one time.

Indeed. I don't have a V-berth, but I do have a "foredeck workshop" forward of the collision bulkhead. I ran a 20 amp AC line forward to there...I just can't run the microwave at the same time...hardly an issue. While this is probably not the "home office" the poster is contemplating, some things are going to be the same: notice how I keep as many tools and chain as far aft as possible. I've also planned to bring that windlass farther back to drop the chain right by the bulkhead. Weight forward is not your friend on a sailboat.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 10:22   #19

Boat: J/42

Yeah, I don’t think that boat in the photo is mean to actually sail. Not a handhold in sight. And how could you tie in to that galley? It’s a dockside condo. But anything in the bow is not for use underway, anyhow. (Which begs the question of all those boats with the head in the bow. For rodeo enthusiasts, I guess.)
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 10:39   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingRyder View Post
1. Is there anything typically in a V-berth that would prevent me from doing this? In all my research, I can’t for the life of me, find out what is under that damed V-bed! Is there any sort of system (i.e. water tank,) under there that would hinder me in converting this into an open office space with storage?

-How many 110v outlets are in that berth, if any? Is there anything that would prevent me from running 15a AC outlets in there? I would need to be able to run a soldering station, and perhaps, scroll saw, and tabletop drill press.

Have you considered asking the dealer what is under the V-berth? How many outlets are there?

Maybe find a boat in stock and look yourself?
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 10:54   #21

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Puget View Post
Watch you weight distribution ... you could end up “bow heavy”...
This is the biggest problem, the weight of "stuff" stored in the ends of a boat, particularly in the bow, where there is usually the least buoyancy.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 11:01   #22

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
One other crucial function that the compartments under the V-berth often serve is as crash boxes. If they don't seem to have any way to drain to the bilge, and they have bulkheads that rise above the waterline - they are probably designed to prevent a front-end collision from sinking the boat. You probably want to keep that sort of thing intact.
I have the 382 (2 head version) of this and yes the forward tank on mine is about 80 gallons and is a crashbox to keep you floating in event of a below the waterline breach. The tank itself is about 8 to 12 inches below the bottom of the bed to allow for storage between the top of the tank and bottom of the bed
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 11:29   #23

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Wow, 1800 watts for a soldering iron? Mine is 23 watts and often too big.

A big issue with a workshop/office forward is boat movement. Do you want to sail the boat? The most motion in a sailboat is at it's bow. You will need to secure or stow everything up there to sail the boat.

That plus as others commenters have said - boats are not cubes - the space under the V quickly diminishes as you go forward.
I stand corrected! I have a Hakko and just looked. It is actually rated @ 70W. That certainly explains why I have never blown a breaker on my 15a circuit. I have run my solder station while operating my bandsaw.

I doubt I would be operating any tools while sailing, so my plan is to secure everything in a tool locker while under sail.
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 11:37   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Puget View Post
Watch you weight distribution ... you could end up “bow heavy”. You might want to revisit your anchor chain/ rode plan at the same time (and all other “bow loads”.
My initial sketches have the tool locker(s) just inside the bulkhead, very near to the soul. I want to experiment with foam/panelling sandwich shelves designed around sterlite shoebox containers, secured with a vertical slat for sailing. I will keep the shelves as light as possible.
Old 22-03-2018, 11:43   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Indeed. I don't have a V-berth, but I do have a "foredeck workshop" forward of the collision bulkhead. I ran a 20 amp AC line forward to there...I just can't run the microwave at the same time...hardly an issue. While this is probably not the "home office" the poster is contemplating, some things are going to be the same: notice how I keep as many tools and chain as far aft as possible. I've also planned to bring that windlass farther back to drop the chain right by the bulkhead. Weight forward is not your friend on a sailboat.
This is EXACTLY what I'm contemplating! Thanks. I wish I could see a higher res photo of your layout. I can't read the labels in your drawing.
Old 22-03-2018, 12:49   #26

Boat: C&C 29 MkI

It's been a long time since I was aboard, but I seem to recollect the Nonesuch early "classic" models had a functional attic room forward at the pointy end of the boat. The "ultra" model redesigned it out of existance since most owners were not of a mind to make use of it.....like I say it has been awhile since I was aboard one....
fdr14127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 12:57   #27

In addition to the items already mentioned, I would think that the issue is not so much the floor area or cabinetry, but rather the actual fiberglass that is both horizontal and vertical underneath the existing bunk(s). That supporting fiberglass could well be merely cosmetic to enclose whatever is below, whether it be storage, drawers and/or tankage, OR it could well be structural to support the hull "width-wise" and perhaps act as a stiffening agent. It would be wise to investiagte the how and why of its existence.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 18:28   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
In addition to the items already mentioned, I would think that the issue is not so much the floor area or cabinetry, but rather the actual fiberglass that is both horizontal and vertical underneath the existing bunk(s). That supporting fiberglass could well be merely cosmetic to enclose whatever is below, whether it be storage, drawers and/or tankage, OR it could well be structural to support the hull "width-wise" and perhaps act as a stiffening agent. It would be wise to investiagte the how and why of its existence.

Good luck.
Good advice. To my knowledge, there is no fiberglass compartments inside the boat, except maybe stringers. No plans on anything structural. Nor rerouting any wires or plumbing! That kind of stuff can have unintended consequenses. At this point, I am just trying to get a general idea of what is up there. I have found some of the owners manuals for the boats in my price range (benetau 381, 393 and 38), so I am looking at the diagrams now. The 393 has 2 heads, one forward of the forward cabin... not sure I like that design, and I won't need or want 2 heads.
Old 22-03-2018, 18:47   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmika View Post
I have the 382 (2 head version) of this and yes the forward tank on mine is about 80 gallons and is a crashbox to keep you floating in event of a below the waterline breach. The tank itself is about 8 to 12 inches below the bottom of the bed to allow for storage between the top of the tank and bottom of the bed
I responded to your post earlier, but i guess it didnt send... what is under the rest of the bed, on the sides? One requirement I have, is to have somewhere to put a workbench (counter where I can sit with my legs underneath). The water tank could easily be covered by a counter top to add additional workspace. That would provide good access to the tanks when needed.

I am still not understanding how a water tank can provide ballast in a collision. If it were breached in a collision, wouldnt that just be 80 gallons of heavier fresh water added to the inside of your sinking vessel? Or is it encased in foam or something?
Old 23-03-2018, 21:49   #30

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Your expectations for the amount of room available in a Vberth forward cabin, are somewhat unrealistic. You mention using all those tools and a workbench but don't forget that space under the Vee berths is probably taken by a holding tank. You will need a lot of storage for your tools and supplies. If the holding tank goes, just also remove the forward head entirely and use that space.

Actually a Beneteau or other typical modern 38 foot boat is not best for your goals of having a nice workshop. For about the same money you could find a mid cockpit boat in the 44-46 ft. range. Why mid cockpit? They have a passage through, below and to one side of the cockpit. This passage is a perfect place for a large workshop with 6'+ headroom.

My 46' Morgan already had two 6 1/2 foot bunks in the passage, plus a large cabinet. So I converted the upper bunk to a big workbench and the cabinet is where I store a lot of my supplies for working on the boat. The Morgan came with two 30A circuits and a big generator, so I don't have any problem running microwave, TV and space heater at the same time.

Well NO, I'm sorry it does not sail like a Beneteau or most any other so-called racer/cruiser. You take whatever you think is more important.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refit