Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2008, 04:25   #16

Send a message via ICQ to emmo
I have just had what I consider to be a good buy. Was looking for a second hand main, approx 12.6m luff, Taskers in Perth had a good cruising main, PO had decided to go racing, it was very suited to a recut, and for $1000 all up I am very happy.
Cheers Emmo
Old 05-07-2008, 10:36   #17

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
On a side note I went into Mack sails last week to get a new staysail quoted, I got the impression they didn't want the business (or maybe they just don't like me I dunno ) anyhow, they quoted me two month lead time and twice the price as Doyle quoted me, so they won, I can take a hint.

The main reason I went there was the guy who owned the boat before me had worked there and Mack did a brand new main and brand new genoa, so I figured I'd have the trashed staysail remade to match. I think the only reason the PO didn't do the staysail is he didn't use it.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 17:48   #18

Boat: Ebbtide 36
Anyone know who in Australia (Sydney) deals with used sails? I'm on the other side of the fence, have changed to furled from hanked on and got a good deal on a new sail so find myself with a large No.1 (the no.2 I'm keeping as a spare and converted to furling). I just don't have to room to keep it onboard and the idea of simply throwing it out doesn't appeal. Surely someone would want it for a few bucks?
ianhef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 18:07   #19

Boat: Bombay PH 31
Great experince

i had great luck in finding mac at south sails in melbourne Fl(US) indian harbour beach.
SouthSails
i mean, not only did the guy come in way under what he quoted me, he drove the sails over on his way home and tossed in a bike for the wife
reworked a used mizzen with great workmanship and patched my old one and i got some used sail covers for way too cheap.
keyspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 18:36   #20

Boat: Hartley 32 RORC; Vixen
Second Hand Sails

There's a guy who sells a lot of second ahnd sails on Ebay, who is located in St Ives - northern Sydney suburb, who may be interested in buying.

He trades on Ebay as Alansecondsail I think, but go to the boat parts/accessories and search for sails and you should find him.

Good luck
Steve Kidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 17:23   #21

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
I bought a used headsail from some outfit in Texas about 8 years ago, and it was just fine. Well worth what I paid for it. I have also just concluded a purchase from Bill Posner, who was advertising in our trade column. After a bit of futzing about with dimensions, I have a used main on the way. I'll let you know how it works out when I get it. The main on Sabre Dance is UV'd to death, and I don't want to spend a fortune on a new one at this time. Bill had a couple that should do, picked the nicer one and at $1000 its between a 3rd and a 4th of what a new one will cost me.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 15:21   #22

Boat: Cal 2-46 Splish Splash
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Minnie's Yacht Surplus. I got a great deal on an almost new 150% Genny for my Cal 46 ($700 incl. shipping). Great service from a very friendly staff.
SeaSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 16:09   #23

Boat: Traditional 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianhef View Post
Anyone know who in Australia (Sydney) deals with used sails? I'm on the other side of the fence, have changed to furled from hanked on and got a good deal on a new sail so find myself with a large No.1 (the no.2 I'm keeping as a spare and converted to furling). I just don't have to room to keep it onboard and the idea of simply throwing it out doesn't appeal. Surely someone would want it for a few bucks?
What size boat? Last seasons skiff rigs are always going cheap. A lot of TS owners buy them

We converted and RL24 year with a number 4 rig from Nokia (18footer) some years back. Talk about a go fast trailer sailer!

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:47   #24

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
My new (used) main just arrived by mail. Kinda hard to tell what shape its in until I can find some place to spread it out but from the little bit I can see, it appears to be in great shape. I just spoke to my sail maker and we will be spreading it out on the loft floor next week sometime to give it a once over. I expect it will need to be modified a bit to fit my boat but hopefully only the slides need changing and a set of battens.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:05   #25

Boat: TBD
Re: Used Sails

Reinstituting the thread because it is timely.

I bought a used headsail from Atlantic Sail Traders and am happy with the purchase.

HOWEVER, I sent them two sails I no longer have a need for. They buy sails.

After two weeks I called them and was told they were working on "opening the box" when they had time.

I then called them and was told I'd get a call back "in an hour". Nope.

I called them three hours later and was told I'd get a call back in "ten minutes". Nope.

You'll probably do better on eslay or Craigslist.

Jim

"It's 5 o'clock somewhere" Scott Kalitta
jdeatsch is offline   Reply With Quote