Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2014, 05:11   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Upholstery - Faux Suede

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
Well that explains the missing wine and beer!
You're running low on rum too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
I also recall that there is a spray used for any sort of seating furniture cloth which will make the cloth if not spill proof at least spill clean up friendly. May be that's the solution. Years ago an old g/f used to work as a chemist at a company which among other products manufactured such spray (but in industrial applications) which the auto industry uses to cover seats in the cars.
Scotchguard was the "go-to" standard forever, but it's getting harder to find, and doesn't work as well as it used to I think... There are tons of sprays on Amazon and the like.... Do a search there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
I was looking at redoing my interior with Sunbrella but then saw this blog post about Crypton Fabric that's supposed to be easy to clean up.

Crypton | Wright Away Sails Away
Great link Rhap!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 05:24   #32
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Another vote for ultra-suede. We had our cushions reupholstered with it in dark blue four years ago and on our first weekend anchoring out, my brother-in-law spilled a 6 ounce glass of red wine all over the settee cushions. I was not a happy camper, especially as we had no specialized cleaning solutions on board. We used some soda water (cleaing supplies may not have been fully stocked, but our bar was) with a soft cloth and then mopped up with paper towels. When it dried there was zero staining.

I also find it is more comfortable than leather and provides a bit more grip when underway.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 05:28   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Another vote for ultra-suede. We had our cushions reupholstered with it in dark blue four years ago and on our first weekend anchoring out, my brother-in-law spilled a 6 ounce glass of red wine all over the settee cushions. I was not a happy camper, especially as we had no specialized cleaning solutions on board. We used some soda water (cleaing supplies may not have been fully stocked, but our bar was) with a soft cloth and then mopped up with paper towels. When it dried there was zero staining.

I also find it is more comfortable than leather and provides a bit more grip when underway.

Brad
Just one more story on why it is absolutely vital to have a well stocked bar....

Old 29-10-2014, 05:41   #34

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Another vote for Ultasuede! We have had it on our boat for 8 years, 7 of that fulltime living aboard with stains or wear problems.

One thing that has not been mentioned though is the FOAM. Depending on your use, the softer foam will degrade faster, especially in a marine environment.

Our cushions were brand new from the factory/ After living aboard for about three years we had to have the foam replaced. No problems since.

Foam comes in different ratings based on density from Extra soft to extra firm. We went with a medium firm for the back rests and a firm cushion for the seats.

I would suggest not going cheap on the foam...

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 05:52   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
Another vote for Ultasuede! We have had it on our boat for 8 years, 7 of that fulltime living aboard with stains or wear problems.

One thing that has not been mentioned though is the FOAM. Depending on your use, the softer foam will degrade faster, especially in a marine environment.

Our cushions were brand new from the factory/ After living aboard for about three years we had to have the foam replaced. No problems since.

Foam comes in different ratings based on density from Extra soft to extra firm. We went with a medium firm for the back rests and a firm cushion for the seats.

I would suggest not going cheap on the foam...
+1 on Tom's comment... Replace what you have with known good quality... It's pricey, but what a drag to have nice fabric on lousy cushions...

Old 29-10-2014, 12:37   #36

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post

something we made a practice of was layering the foam while in business with the softess on the top and more dence as it went to the bottom.
A 6 inch seat migh have 1 inch of soft foam, 3 inches of medimum dence and
2 inches of very dence foam.. all glued together so when you sat on it, it was soft to the feel but as you continued to drop into the seat it became stiffer..
It works great..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 06:56   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
something we made a practice of was layering the foam while in business with the softess on the top and more dence as it went to the bottom.
A 6 inch seat migh have 1 inch of soft foam, 3 inches of medimum dence and
2 inches of very dence foam.. all glued together so when you sat on it, it was soft to the feel but as you continued to drop into the seat it became stiffer..
It works great..
Standard practice in the seating manufacture industry... I know... As I TEST SEATING for a living... Fantastic that you have adopted this construction method!

Old 30-10-2014, 07:06   #38

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
As I TEST SEATING for a living...
Ah yes, I remember that coming up in another thread…

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stock-photo-lazy-overweight-male-sitting-on-a-couch-watching-television-harsh-lighting-from-tele.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	90537  

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote