Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 05:02   #1

Boat: Hunter, 31-foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Syserenity
Updating holding tank...

Hi to all...
I bought this 1984 Hunter and I found the boat smelled. By cleaning and start using the holding tank I became aware of the holding tank and I opened that "thing". Then I called the preowner and they hadn´t done any maintenance on it more than change hoses when needed. So, imagine....

I cleaned up the tank, soaked for 24 hours in clorine and got the stuff out. But however the smell is still everywhere. Does it help if I use for some time vineagr diluted in water as an ingredient of the tank and by flushing with vineagr solution? Has anyone experience? Vineagr is an extremely effective odor killer and also a natural disinfectant and cleaner.... I appreciate some experience on that, thanks....
Syserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:06   #2

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Updating holding tank...

Are you sure it's the tank that's causing the smell and not the hose leading to it?
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:09   #3
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syserenity View Post
Hi to all...
I bought this 1984 Hunter and I found the boat smelled. By cleaning and start using the holding tank I became aware of the holding tank and I opened that "thing". Then I called the preowner and they hadn´t done any maintenance on it more than change hoses when needed. So, imagine....

I cleaned up the tank, soaked for 24 hours in clorine and got the stuff out. But however the smell is still everywhere. Does it help if I use for some time vineagr diluted in water as an ingredient of the tank and by flushing with vineagr solution? Has anyone experience? Vineagr is an extremely effective odor killer and also a natural disinfectant and cleaner.... I appreciate some experience on that, thanks....

Use Pureayre or Raritan KO.

Odor eliminator PureAyre eliminates cat, pet, smoke, skunk, cigars, gasoline, cooking and musty odors.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:59   #4

I actually am draining the hoses and the tank with vinegar and it seems to work. The vinegar seems to clean up the hoses, as the tank is showing again a lot of dirt, that wasn´t there yesterday....! So I will continue flushing with vinegar..... the smell in the cabine already dissapeared do....
Old 09-03-2013, 09:13   #5

Good - keep it up. It can take awhile for a new-to-you boat to rid itself of all odors. Mine has a completely wood interior (only the hull and deck are fiberglass) and it took me years to find and fix some rot in a sampson post........and I think the boat smells better now.
SailPenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:29   #6

Thanks to your all help
I have actually cleaned the boat like a sick guy with clorine towels and all possible cleaners, as I hate other dirt then mine. I am painting and beside of all, before starting the adventure of my life I am having fun making up my boat, almost like a little dog would piss in every corner of his yard.....
Old 09-03-2013, 10:12   #7

Often it is the hoses.... just replace them. stick your nose up next to noe... if it's them you 'll smell it!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote