Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 06:52   #1

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter
Underwater Inspection

Hey folks -

Do you guys do a hull inspection of some sort before heading off on an offshore trip? I mean, do you take a swim around the boat, inspect the rudder/prop/appendages/transducers/logs etc? I would think that - just like doing a walk around a car or a plane before heading out - it would be a good practice to get into.

Sort of a different challenge in cold water, but no less important I'd think. Anybody do this on a regular basis? if so - how?

thanks-
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:58   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: underwater inspection

where I am that would result in hypothermia before i got to the depth sounder
Old 11-05-2012, 07:08   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i hire a diver i trust to check things i cannot see from inside boat and to scrape of fthe gunk growing under hull.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:12   #4

Yeah - me too - I think the water is +4 today near my boat. I'm not jumping in any time soon either. But I sure would like to know what the state of things is without having to haul or hire a diver.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:57   #5

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

I have a maintenance schedule that includes scraping the hull once a month. In that process I look at things to be sure the rudder, keel, and anode are in good shape. I also inspect the steering quadrant for leeks and the cable that leads to the quadrant for corrosion that is in the boat.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:01   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

There is very little there (in our case - stern hung rudder, long keel) that could go wrong. We lift our boat every 10k Nm or so anyways so full inspection is made then.

If water is clean and clear I like to take a dive and look at things - also a good opportunity to remove growth, if there is any. Cold water no issue, this is what neoprene is for.

If the boat is bigger and if you want the inspection to be more thorough, then scuba gear goes a long way.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:35   #7

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Weather permitting this is a top idea. I would do it every one or two months, more or less depending on factors like if I have been spearfishing or if the water is clear.

It is amazing how fast your hull and prop can become fouled with growth. Then there could be other issues with anodes, fittings and even the hull itself.

Oh, I have been a bit lazy of late, but am prommising the yacht and I that I will get the googles and flippers on soon!

I nearly forgot to mention that cleaning the hull on snorkel is awesome freediving/spearfishing training. It is like how they carry rocks underwater in Hawaii, except my mesure is how much of the hull I can clean on a single breath. Again, I need to suit up and put words into practice!
Old 11-05-2012, 08:56   #8

Boat: In between boats

I'm diving in tomorrow to finish cleaning the bottom, guages and replace the zincs. Last weekend I "careened" my boat and cleaned one side. Definitely better than spending the money at a boat yard, so long as temperature and and physicality permit.
SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:18   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Pre flight inspections are a good idea ,I would think a pre sail inspection would be a good idea also ...theres really not that much to see on mine though..for some reason I always grab the rudder and bounce it up and down to check the connection,it gives a little ,is that normal? wish there was a way to see my chain plates without having to do a lot of contorting...in spections are a good thing...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 13:09   #10

I've heard of folks taping their waterproof cameras to a boathook and trying to get a few images of stuff that way - like if you suspect a fouled prop or similar. Sounds like a bit of fun!
Old 15-05-2012, 17:49   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I just bought a regulator off craigs list for $50. Used to pay for bottom clean and decided I could use the exercise of doing it myself.

A local scuba shop rents charged tanks for $17 us.

I float the tank rather than wear it, have a 3 meter hose and it helps to have positive buoyancy or one of those window sucker/grabber things. I also rig a fore/aft line to help maneuver. Also helps to wear the weights on the ankle so I float vertically. Takes abut 30 minutes to clean my boat.

Hats off Surfer Shane if you can free dive. I aint got the huff and puff for that any more...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 17:57   #12

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSboatman View Post
Hey folks -

Do you guys do a hull inspection of some sort before heading off on an offshore trip? I mean, do you take a swim around the boat, inspect the rudder/prop/appendages/transducers/logs etc? I would think that - just like doing a walk around a car or a plane before heading out - it would be a good practice to get into.

Sort of a different challenge in cold water, but no less important I'd think. Anybody do this on a regular basis? if so - how?

thanks-
Absolutely. Can't imagine not being able to do it. Of course it is much warmer in the tropics.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 06:51   #13

well that's the thing... it's not a problem in the tropics - dive in and have a look - but in polluted harbors, northern COLD waters, alligator or other critter infested rivers, stagnant lagoons, etc... it's not quite as nice or practical.

I just want to be able to put my eyes - not someone else s - on my running gear and underbody before trusting my family to it for days offshore. Hauling every time to do this is a huge pain in the butt.

any other options?
Old 16-05-2012, 07:40   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

There are several low cost 12vDC underwater camera/TV monitors out there for $100-150. I have one, it's a little hard to use, i.e. manipulate it into position with camera taped to end of boat hook, but for up close inspections on a particular situation, it's ok. Hard to view monitor in bright daylight, but camera has LED illumination so darkness undewater is no barrier, viewing monitor at dusk is tolerable.
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 09:58   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I don't want to make a long passage with a dirty bottom. A 1/2 knot of boat speed over 10-20 days adds 1-3 days to the length of the passage. Where the water is too cold for me to do it, which is almost everywhere, have a diver scrub the bottom and check the through hulls, zincs and general condition while they are at it. A very cheap investment for a speedy and safe passage.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inspection