Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2022, 16:37   #76

Re: Ultrasonic antifouling?? any good??

https://scripps.ucsd.edu/news/ultras...amaging-whales

ULTRASONIC ANTIFOULING DEVICES FOUND DAMAGING TO WHALES
Study of Cuvier’s beaked whales off Mexico’s Guadalupe Island led to discovery
silvercreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2023, 17:00   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I'm waiting Nigel Calders longer term review of his system. He has written that he feels his ultrasonic system was "worth it" in just his first year short term. I would suspect there is a wide ranging group of cruiser who would consider his thoughts on the subject more important than a single SF area hull cleaner's.

But I believe that ultrasonic, bottom paint, cleaning, copper coat are all just part of a bottom management approach. They probably all are "worth it" if used together properly. To just say something like ultrasonic or a specific bottom paint or copper coat, doesn't work is a pretty meaningless thing and is just showing IMO a simple minded unwillingness to progress beyond your current experience and a very narrow group of users.

BTW - I have a feeling a lot of ultrasonic systems not working is a combination of people using the "cheap" systems and/or not installing the units correctly.
Agree with all you say! Quality equipment and it's proper installation appears to be needed.

Side note, if you or anyone else tired of the useless comments and constant belittling from a certain SF Bay area bottom cleaner, I'd be happy to show you how to place him on the "ignore list". It has really made my time spent on CF much more enjoyable and useful.
At Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 21:58   #78

Boat: Cooper Prowler 40'

I installed an ultrasonic antifoulingsl system on my boat from a company called:
cleanahull.com

I live in the Seattle, Washington. I typically see water temperatures between 50°- 54° F.

My boat had been in the water for 3 years and had not been scraped or cleaned during that time. Of course I had divers changing my sacrificial anodes during the time and they reported the bottom was clean. The pictures below were taken when the boat was hauled out and new bottom paint was applied. These systems won't protect the running gear, unless you get creative and can find a way to attach it to your rudder, trim tabs and prop shaft. You can see the hard growth on those items. In my opinion, the system works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211008_092510.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	272902   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211008_081049.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	445.6 KB
ID:	272903  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211008_081820.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	272904  
my3star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 23:13   #79
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3star View Post
I installed an ultrasonic antifoulingsl system on my boat from a company called:

cleanahull.com

I live in the Seattle, Washington. I typically see water temperatures between 50°- 54° F.

My boat had been in the water for 3 years and had not been scraped or cleaned during that time. Of course I had divers changing my sacrificial anodes during the time and they reported the bottom was clean. The pictures below were taken when the boat was hauled out and new bottom paint was applied. These systems won't protect the running gear, unless you get creative and can find a way to attach it to your rudder, trim tabs and prop shaft. You can see the hard growth on those items. In my opinion, the system works.

There are members of this forum in the Puget Sound area who claim they don’t ever need in-water hull cleaning at all, with just anti fouling paint on their hulls. Which tells me that fouling conditions there are pretty light.

Where does your boat live?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 23:20   #80

Boat: Cooper Prowler 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
There are members of this forum in the Puget Sound area who claim they don’t ever need in-water hull cleaning at all, with just anti fouling paint on their hulls. Which tells me that fouling conditions there are pretty light.

I keep my boat at a small marina just south of Tacoma, WA. Everyone else in my marina has either installed this system, or has a diver on a regular basis, about every 4-6 months, to clean their hull.
my3star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 23:23   #81

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by At Peace View Post
Agree with all you say! Quality equipment and it's proper installation appears to be needed.

Side note, if you or anyone else tired of the useless comments and constant belittling from a certain SF Bay area bottom cleaner, I'd be happy to show you how to place him on the "ignore list". It has really made my time spent on CF much more enjoyable and useful.
Perhaps you live in a somewhat protected world that doesn't need or benefit from views or experience that run contrary to your perceptions, however some of us value the contributions of all, regardless of race, colour or creed , I acknowledge that sometimes the comments may be a bit repetitious and abrasive however they are nonetheless as valuable as yours.

Peace brother.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2023, 13:32   #82
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Perhaps you live in a somewhat protected world that doesn't need or benefit from views or experience that run contrary to your perceptions, however some of us value the contributions of all, regardless of race, colour or creed , I acknowledge that sometimes the comments may be a bit repetitious and abrasive however they are nonetheless as valuable as yours.

Peace brother.

If one feels the need to block me simply because I have a professional opinion that runs contrary to yours, that says a lot more about the blocker than it does me.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2023, 19:15   #83

Boat: Hylas 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post

So, someone tells you that they've actually installed a system and used it for three years, describes the results and concludes it works.

Whereas you have never used one and haven't been to the location in question but tell him they don't work (not directly but that is what you implied) because you heard some stuff from some other people who may live nearby.

The first case is called eyewitness testimony. The second one is called hearsay (if it even rises to that). Which do you think is more credible?

You sir, suffer from confirmation bias. Or more specifically, from the BELIEF PERSEVERANCE variant. (Note the link.) You got it pretty bad.
Lee Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote