Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 04:33   #1

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Ultra sound water tank sensor

Another problem. My water tank gauge does not work so we try to keep track of usage and guess when to fill. We also have rain catchers so are constantly filling from 5 gallon jugs.
I was reading on the internet about a water tank gauge that is attached to the outside of the tank and it uses ultrasound to determine the level of the water. It can only be used on the plastic type tanks. Has anyone had experience with this type of system? I have had to seal the top of the tank due to a leak and would prefer not to remove the tank and put in a new hoe for the traditional type sensor.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:15   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Ultra sound water tank sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
I was reading on the internet about a water tank gauge that is attached to the outside of the tank and it uses ultrasound to determine the level of the water. It can only be used on the plastic type tanks. Has anyone had experience with this type of system?
They work only on plastic fresh water tanks not by ultra sound but by capacitance change. Water has about 80 times the capactance of air. So the sensor is made from 2 strips of metal tape stuck to the tank and then an electronic device connects between the strips. As the water level changes the capacitance between the strips changes and then it displays a relative water level. There is usually a calibration needed to set empty and full. They are not terribly accurate in the middle scale but pretty accurate at empty and full which is fine. Some require no standby power because you press a button to apply power and read the tank level. The rest of the time the power consumption is zero.

Regards,
Dan
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:03   #3

Thank you. Have you seen this successfully used? Or, would it be better to put the time into taking the tank out and putting an internal sensor in it? Aloisius
Old 11-01-2013, 09:56   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

In addition to float level sensors, there are pressure, capacitance, and ultrasonic liquid level sensors.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:24   #5

GordMay, with these other sensors do you need to mount them IN the tank through a hole?
Old 11-01-2013, 20:35   #6

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
Thank you. Have you seen this successfully used? Or, would it be better to put the time into taking the tank out and putting an internal sensor in it? Aloisius
Yes, the capacitive ones I have seen worked ok. You only need access to the side of the tank to stick the sensor to it. You do not need internal access.

For the float type sensors as well as pneumatic sensors (no power required) you only need top access to make a relatively small hole in the top of the tank. You do not have to remove the tank to install the sensor.

If you cannot get to the top of the tank then a stick-on sensor on the side is probably your best bet.

Dan
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 20:58   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I've heard that they work pretty good but I haven't tried one.
Raritan makes one that looks pretty good.
Raritan Engineering | Accessories | Tank Monitor
If you have any questions about it, contact Mac McCoy or Dale Weatherstone at Raritan's Ft. Lauderdale office.
floffice@raritaneng.com
Old 11-01-2013, 23:05   #8
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380

I have 3 Sensa Tank sensing units one on the fresh water and 1 each on the 2 holding tanks. Set the fresh water one up as a low level sensor indicator and put the sensor at 1/4 full level and the tow holding tank units are set as high level indicators at about the 3/4 full level.
2 years old and no issues.
Old 21-01-2013, 07:23   #9

Boat: Hunter, 290

Marine Gauge Systems offers an externally applied capacitive sensor sender. It operates with existing 30-270ohm resistance type gauges and requires no new wiring.
mattinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 09:01   #10

I installed the capacitance sensors on our plastic holding tank. I've found the calibration and scale to be very accurate. Depending on the model, they have settings for the shape of the tank. I've measured the levels and compared to the LED indicators and was pleased with the accuracy.
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water