Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2019, 21:07   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 43
TotalFair cure time before Interlux Epoxy Primer

This really seems like the kind of answer the various TDS would give me, and yet here I am...

So ...
  1. Interlux Epoxy PrimeKote says is will go over epoxy as long as it's fully cured ...
  2. ok ... and TotalFair is an epoxy filler ...
  3. I spoke with Interlux and they said their product was more than happy to sit on top of TotalFair or any epoxy product that's fully cured and scuffed up... GREAT!
  4. So then I go back to the data sheets to see how long it takes TotalFair to fully cure and ... they play coy with me.

If I'd used Mas resin, their TDS states plainly I would have a 3.5 day wait in present weather. West systems tells me about the same.

This is my first time using PrimeKote and I'm seriously doubting my decision. For all the talk about AwlGrip being for pros, it's a lot less picky about what is sits on top of.
BrightSEALAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 21:21   #2

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Re: TotalFair cure time before Interlux Epoxy Primer

I'd call James towm/total boat and ask. As for me personally, they say its sandable in 3 hours @ 80f.

Their site say "ake it even smoother by sanding after it cures. Which is quick just 3 hours at 80F."

I'd personally wait 24 hours minimum just to be safe.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 03:26   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Re: TotalFair cure time before Interlux Epoxy Primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
I'd call James towm/total boat and ask. As for me personally, they say its sandable in 3 hours @ 80f.

Their site say "ake it even smoother by sanding after it cures. Which is quick just 3 hours at 80F."

I'd personally wait 24 hours minimum just to be safe.
I did exactly what your doing and just waited overnight. Faired on Saturday then sanded and painted on Sunday. Winter and summer in northern Florida (for temperature reference)

Tags
epoxy, Interlux