Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2014, 18:08   #31
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Topsides Paint - Cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
How about 220? but surely not 400.
Oh, yes. 320 scratches print through LPU. So does 400 hand sanding, but not DA sanding. So, guide coat, hand sand, then DA. All 400.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 05:55   #32
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
200 for topcoat prep?!
Misspoke myself. 400 grit.

Yes, guys, it can go that fast if you are efficient and your goals are realistic. Consider that 15 hours at shop labor rates ($100/hour) and shop productivity (figure 30 hours) and shop supplies ($500) would get you to $3500. The sort of labor-of-love work many are suggesting would cost twice that, which some have pointed out. Personally, I'd spend the money on sails, upholstery, or hardware.

I've done this twice and the paint neither pealed nor ran, nor did repairs show through. The first boat took longer. There is no doubt in my mind that I could paint my current 34' cat to the OP specs below the rail in under 15 hours labor. It's not that complicated. Deck and cabin, for a cruising boat, is a different matter.

Old 19-08-2014, 06:50   #33

My experience is it's a trade off:
- You can spend ongoing time keeping the gelcoat in good condition by buffing and waxing every few months.
- You can spend more time but less frequently by painting every 8-15yrs.

As long as you keep up on it gelcoat will last a long time and look good. But as it ages, it takes more and more to keep that up. Eventually painting makes sense.

To the original question: If it includes prep and a high quality paint job, that sounds like a bargain. If it's a couple college kids slapping a coat of paint on whatever is there, the cost to fix it will kill you.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 16:22   #34
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Misspoke myself. 400 grit.

Yes, guys, it can go that fast if you are efficient and your goals are realistic. Consider that 15 hours at shop labor rates ($100/hour) and shop productivity (figure 30 hours) and shop supplies ($500) would get you to $3500. The sort of labor-of-love work many are suggesting would cost twice that, which some have pointed out. Personally, I'd spend the money on sails, upholstery, or hardware.

I've done this twice and the paint neither pealed nor ran, nor did repairs show through. The first boat took longer. There is no doubt in my mind that I could paint my current 34' cat to the OP specs below the rail in under 15 hours labor. It's not that complicated. Deck and cabin, for a cruising boat, is a different matter.

Even though the OP stated that they have tired gelcoat and not existing paint in decent shape, thus necessitating a primer job? Plus stripes?

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 16:46   #35

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Even though the OP stated that they have tired gelcoat and not existing paint in decent shape, thus necessitating a primer job? Plus stripes?
Some people might be fooled into not using primer. After all, if the old surface sanded smooth, it would cut down on the time.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint