Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2015, 12:01   #16

Boat: Columbia 36
Re: Top Side Painting

Old post I know, but FWI for those trying to learn something. Just tried the Rustoleum Topside on my boat and was very impressed! Acts just like Interlux Brightside or Pettit EasyPoxy and it's only $11.50 a quart at Menards. Brightside is about $40. Thinned with 4 oz Penetrol to the quart per penetrol instructions. Rolled the paint on very thin with a foam roller, tipped some areas out with a brush, left one area as rolled as an experiment. The tipped sections came out extrememly smooth, as good as any one part paint I've seen. The area I did not tip looked really rough at first, but levelled out very nicely, leaving a slight orange peel texture like a mediocre spray job. This was done outside with no wind starting at about 45 degrees F. and warming to about 60 later on. That's a little below the recommended temperature of 50, but the slower the paint dries the more it will level. Of course, the slower it dries the more chance of contaminating the surface, and it did catch a few bugs.
Now to see how it holds up.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote