Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2018, 15:26   #16

Boat: adams 35
Re: Top Side Non-skid Options - Marine Grip & Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Sorry... had the name slightly wrong. Try this one:
http://www.colormaker.com.au/wp-cont...-Tech-Data.pdf

Easily as good as Kiwi Grip, and VERY much less expensive.

Jim

Tried this link and it gets to the colormaker site but not the actual paint. Is it the "pool surround non slip" ? Looked the most likely........

qwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 15:31   #17

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Good info here. Looking forward to more as this is one of my winter projects.

Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 15:51   #18

Boat: Buchan 37, Windward Mark + MiniTransat 6,50 Antidote

Kiwi Grip - Easy to install, especially when you might need to patch an area around a windlass. Colour is consistent even when you buy small amounts over time.
Adrian NAMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 16:09   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
Tried this link and it gets to the colormaker site but not the actual paint. Is it the "pool surround non slip" ? Looked the most likely........
OK, here it is specifically... the product that I used.

Barrier Coating suits Balconies, Sportscourts etc - Tough, Flexible & Made in Aus. - Colormaker Industries

Jim
Old 23-09-2018, 16:17   #20

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Take a look at Durabak, https://www.durabakcompany.com/marine/. I've heard good reports and got a sample that looks very good. Used by the US Navy, for what's that worth. They will send you a free sample.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 16:54   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

About the acrylmeric sportscote (as it was called when we bought it). It was the most aggressive non-skid I'd ever experienced. I actually took a sanding block and dulled it a bit on our sugar scoop, where we sit to put on our fins before going in the water. It is reliable with bare feet or shoes on, one just doesn't slip at all. And the price was extremely competitive.

I'm aware Kiwi Grip has its afficionados, and I am sure it is a good product. I don't personally have any experience with it, though. We tried the sportscote in the white color, as a total experiment (let's see how it works), were pleased, and it was noticeably cooler in the cupboards below decks than it had been with the grey grit we had before.

Ann
Old 24-09-2018, 09:42   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmojo View Post
Take a look at Durabak, https://www.durabakcompany.com/marine/. I've heard good reports and got a sample that looks very good. Used by the US Navy, for what's that worth. They will send you a free sample.
Durbak is a one part urethane product that is easy to roll out with many colors available and comes in a smooth and non-skid product.
The negative is it is porous tending to atmosphere stain (like diesel soot from airport/roads) after a year and powders after longer. The method to solve that is put it on and then paint it with simple paint, urethane or whatever to protect it. It is cheap and can be recoated by simple soap wash and go. It sticks to anything that is not grease. (use left over on concrete floors at doors, etc for anti slip). Overall the Durbak is a simple and inexpensive method of filing the micro cracks (about 20-25 mils) and then doing the deck repairs as time permits over long term. Its base is xylene.

a new product is a two part urethane Grip Tide- made in the US in NC. It has decent non-skid and rolls out, flexible, and although only 15 mils does seal the micro cracks in gelcoat. It is a urethane surface finish (like awlgrip) and does not stain. Negative- application is heat sensitive and will kick off if applied when to hot-so small batches may be used
Grip Tide does not have a "hard" edge so tends to self level making a good patching/touch up finish that permits patching small areas and paint without a significant fade highlighting age of patch. This would as well work with your schedule of many diffrent areas.
semproducts.com
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 09:54   #23

Just add the words "deck paint" to your google search and it pops right up.

jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine