Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2020, 06:53   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO40
To Haul Out or leave in water? Advice please!

I have a Jeanneau SO40 that I bought in October and am now coming upon my first end-of-season and have to decide what to do with the boat while I return home for the summer/fall. The choice is between hauling out or leaving it in the water in Fort Pierce Florida.
I've been planning on hauling out but had a discussion last night with a few other sailors who disagreed saying that the boat is better off left in the water. The logic being that in a strong wind there is less stress on the rigging if the boat can sway with the wind. This made me rethink my decision.
My options are leaving it in the water at the Fort Pierce City Marina, which is really well sheltered and in a slip that I can tie off to pilings on either side keeping it off the dock, or haul out at Riverside Marina.
Cost wise it's close enough to a wash that it doesn't matter. I'd have the extra cost of hiring a diver to clean the hull once a month, and I'd still have to haul out next year for a bottom paint and some other maintenance, but I'm not concerned enough about cost to let that sway my decision.
I'd appreciate any input!
Canuck_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 14:47   #2

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35
Re: To Haul Out or leave in water? Advice please!

I haul out annually so don’t consider it a big deal. I’d much rather haul out than leave my boat unattended in the water for an extended period.
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 16:42   #3

What does your insurer say?
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 18:09   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Many in Florida choose to haul during the hurricane season. Perhaps it is sound reasoning and you should follow suit.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 18:49   #5

Boat: Islander 36

[QUOTE=Canuck_123;3153466].
I've been planning on hauling out but had a discussion last night with a few other sailors who disagreed saying that the boat is better off left in the water. The logic being that in a strong wind there is less stress on the rigging if the boat can sway with the wind.
QUOTE]

Choose which risk, stresses and damage you're willing to live with.

Glad my boat was on the hard during a Mexican hurricane. Hauling out is usually the better choice.

Be careful who you listen to.

I recently saw a YouTube video where a guy had no idea how to tie off to a dock. He asked an "old salt" on his dock how to do it, and now he is getting likes for his expert opinion. The "old salt" didn't get it right.
Old 02-06-2020, 20:01   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If you haul, pull the mast. If a hurricane happens along, the wind resistance of the mast will cause the boat to fall over. The mast rigging is designed to take the load whether it's on land or in the water. Stress on the mast would be the least of your worries if a big one hits.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 21:04   #7

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
If you haul, pull the mast. If a hurricane happens along, the wind resistance of the mast will cause the boat to fall over. The mast rigging is designed to take the load whether it's on land or in the water. Stress on the mast would be the least of your worries if a big one hits.
While that has some merits, it’s a bit extreme for a lot a areas of the world. Even more so with some keel stepped mast. I’d check for the norm at the boatyard you haul in. That should be your most helpful benchmark.
Old 02-06-2020, 21:19   #8

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

Double up on asking your insurer what they want you to do.

If you are not insured, haul. If at all possible have the keel in a pit, and the hull strapped down. If that is not possible, at least take the mast out. Pulling the mast is NOT an extreme precaution for a summer in eastern Florida!
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
haul out, lease, water