Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2020, 00:33   #1

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 36
To Antifoul or not?

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Hallberg Rassy Rasmus (a 50 year old, 36 foot fibre glass monohull for anyone who is unfamiliar). She's in the Mediterranean currently on the hard.

My plan is to put her in the water first chance I get to run her through a two week shakedown. Immediately after the two week shakedown she will be put back on the hard for 4 months whilst I finish my work contract, before I move onboard and on to the water full time.

I know I have a lot of work to do both recommended in the survey and just to fit my own preferences, but my question for the community is this:

Do I need to Antifoul her for the two week shakedown in the Med when she will be coming out after 14 days and getting a fresh water rinse off before sitting in the cradle for four months? Currently she has one (probably more) coat(s) of Antifouling which is in semi alright condition, minus the donor discs the surveyor took to check on the Hull. I know it obviously needs stripping back and a new coat before I take her full time cruising, but is it necessary for a two week shakedown?

Thanks all,

Henry
Marriner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 01:29   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: To Antifoul or not?

in the med there will be no significant marine growth in 2 weeks,even if the hull had no paint at all,at the most you might expect to get some weed starting to grow along the water line.

waste of time, effort and money to paint then haul out for 4 months as the new paint would be liable to lose some of it's effectiveness whilst out the water on the hard over the summer
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 01:53   #3

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 36

Thanks @atoll that's exactly what I thought, and what I wanted to hear. I just needed a second opinion to tell me I wasn't just being cheap!
Marriner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 03:23   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marriner View Post
Hi all,

I recently purchased a Hallberg Rassy Rasmus (a 50 year old, 36 foot fibre glass monohull for anyone who is unfamiliar). She's in the Mediterranean currently on the hard.

My plan is to put her in the water first chance I get to run her through a two week shakedown. Immediately after the two week shakedown she will be put back on the hard for 4 months whilst I finish my work contract, before I move onboard and on to the water full time.

I know I have a lot of work to do both recommended in the survey and just to fit my own preferences, but my question for the community is this:

Do I need to Antifoul her for the two week shakedown in the Med when she will be coming out after 14 days and getting a fresh water rinse off before sitting in the cradle for four months? Currently she has one (probably more) coat(s) of Antifouling which is in semi alright condition, minus the donor discs the surveyor took to check on the Hull. I know it obviously needs stripping back and a new coat before I take her full time cruising, but is it necessary for a two week shakedown?

Thanks all,

Henry

Don’t anti foul

Two weeks in the Mediterranean... summer time .. may produce s bit of gribble .. but nothing that a powerwash can’t blow off

If your boat is that old it’s time to remove the old antifoul paint, prime and antifoul with modern paint

The Spanish yards are reasonably priced .., hence a good time to maintain the bottom
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 08:41   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Hard non ablative paint lose their anti-fouling capability if stored out of the water. Ablative paints usually don't have this problem. If you paint, check the spec's on the paint to be sure that you won't be wasting your money.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 09:20   #6

Boat: Tartan 37C

following
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 09:55   #7

No , dont spend the time or money. Anti fouling is of limited use at best anyway from my experience. For 2 weeks doesn't matter. It will not stop growth, slows it a bit maybe, but will kill growth once it is already attached to your hull. It's then stuck there.

Extreme Example: 5 weeks sitting in Luperon harbor, then I manually cleaned the bottom of a catamaran to depart. I'd estimate I got about 2-3 gallons of barnacles off. This bottom paint was ~3 months old.
2 weeks will be a non issue for you.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 13:03   #8

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Not only no but a bad idea. Waste of money.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 14:22   #9

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Spend the extra money, and put the Epoxy- Copper bottom paint on, good for 10 year's, save on haul outs, only diver clean when needed.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 14:46   #10

Boat: Celestial 48, Cutter.

Congrats on your new boat. Good luck as you fit her out for your adventures.
svchinamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 18:15   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
Spend the extra money, and put the Epoxy- Copper bottom paint on, good for 10 year's, save on haul outs, only diver clean when needed.
Very mixed results....not a panacea.....
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 00:47   #12

Boat: S&S 36

As mentioned before, don't spend the$€ on antifouling at this point, if you put her on the hard after 2 weeks the antifoul will be wasted and will only cause more work removing it before you put her back in the water and have to antifoule again anyhow.
Enjoy your new boat.
Nico Domino is offline   Reply With Quote