Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2022, 06:04   #16

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: tiller to wheel switch

Edson makes good reliable stuff but inexpensive is not part of the definition
Old 04-02-2022, 06:08   #17

Boat: Tartan 40
tiller to wheel switch

If you are near Annapolis (Bacon) or Fort Lauderdale (sailorman?) I’d look for a wheel/pedestal unit used on consignment.
I converted my prior boat (Luders 33) from wheel to tiller and it was a huge upgrade coupled with a below decks autopilot.
If there is no below decks autopilot on your T37 suggest that’s a much cheaper way to get the benefit of a tiller (fold up out of way). Steering with tiller is so nice-
I’m sure I won’t but have daydreamed about doing the same conversion with my T40
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 11:18   #18

Boat: Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Good links, but disagree about hate for hydraulic. Who wants to fight the helm (feedback) on a heavy boat, even for short periods when not on autopilot? Heavier boats require more force at the wheel, or more turns on a wheel with cable steering. At 15 tons we are very happy to have hydraulic steering and never having to worry about a cable jumping or jamming. I'd guess if the boat is 10 tons or less then having feedback would be a good thing.

A lot depends on the use of the boat. Racing, always tiller if possible. Day sailing, short trips, tiller or wheel. Long distance with autopilot, best with wheel on mid to large boat.
One thing to note about feed back. If you don't have feed back, like with hydraulics, it will put more stress on the rudder shaft in rough seas. Which could break off the rudder if the shaft is not heavy enough for a broadside wave.
BilgeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 12:10   #19

Boat: Catalina 320

I'd just shrug and tell him he's free to do whatever he wants with HIS boat, that he'd expect a solution to his problem from you seems either ignorant or irrational.
It's a sellers market here, I've had offers for more than I paid for my boat and it's not for sale.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel