Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2020, 13:22   #1

Boat: Alberg 30
Tidal grid in Florida East Coast?

Hi,
So I set sail a few weeks back and just today noticed that I am getting some blistering at the water line. The added weight of cruising provisions has brought my waterline up. I was last out of the water 8 months ago so really just need to quick sand and repaint boot stripe higher.

Does anyone know of any tidal grids on the Florida East coast between St. Augustine and palm beach where I could do the work myself to avoid haul out costs? I’m open to other suggestions as how to complete this job.

Thanks in advance.
SVSOLITAIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 17:08   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Tidal grid in Florida East Coast?

I have never seen a tidal grid in Florida. I don't think the tidal range on the east coast is enough to make one effective anyway.
Old 07-11-2020, 17:27   #3

Yeah, no Solitaire,

Benz is right. The tidal range isn't sufficient.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 18:26   #4

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

If you’ve got a foot or so of range any convenient sheltered calm water sandbar might work.
Maybe lean to one side on one tide and the other the next day.
Speaking as someone who is used to ten foot plus ranges.
I’d be nervous about making sure I would float free when needed with that low range.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:42   #5

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

I believe you have to get north of the Florida Georgia line to get a true tidal range that would allow you to sit on the bottom and have sufficient hull exposure. If you really mean gelcoat blisters then problem will be whether or not your "treatment" will have time to cure before the tide comes back in. The same holds true for boot stripe rework & raised bottom paint waterline. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:20   #6

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

I’ve painted several Boat Bottom‘s on the title flats behind peanut Island right near Palm Beach, Florida.

It is very sheltered, there is at least 4 feet of dry flats available at low tide during certain times of the month. Peanut island is near several good boat supply stores including boat owners warehouse. Where I purchase paint and other supplies.

First time I did it towboat US came by and explain to me their salvage costs. The next time they just came by for a beer.

Until I sold my boats are used to go by about once a month to clean the bottom and touch up the top side. wax.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:56   #7

The only time there is a noticeable tide is at spring tides.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:57   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

And it's neaps right now.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:12   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We used to careen for bottom cleaning and painting at Ft. George Inlet just north of the St. Johns River with a typical tidal range a little over six feet. This location is accessed off the ICW to the Kingsley Plantation to the east a few miles north of the Sister's Creek Bridge. Once passing the Kingsley Plantation to starboard you'll find a place to cross to the north bank where there is a steep sand bank that will allow you to lean to shore at about 30 to 40 degrees depending upon your underwater configuration.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstu View Post
I’ve painted several Boat Bottom‘s on the title flats behind peanut Island right near Palm Beach, Florida.

It is very sheltered, there is at least 4 feet of dry flats available at low tide during certain times of the month. Peanut island is near several good boat supply stores including boat owners warehouse. Where I purchase paint and other supplies.

First time I did it towboat US came by and explain to me their salvage costs. The next time they just came by for a beer.

Until I sold my boats are used to go by about once a month to clean the bottom and touch up the top side. wax.

Awesome just the tip I was looking for thank you! I was planning on spending a week or more by peanut island any way.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
We used to careen for bottom cleaning and painting at Ft. George Inlet just north of the St. Johns River with a typical tidal range a little over six feet. This location is accessed off the ICW to the Kingsley Plantation to the east a few miles north of the Sister's Creek Bridge. Once passing the Kingsley Plantation to starboard you'll find a place to cross to the north bank where there is a steep sand bank that will allow you to lean to shore at about 30 to 40 degrees depending upon your underwater configuration.

Already south of that location but I’ll definitely keep that in mind. Thanks
Old 08-11-2020, 20:00   #12

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Buy a roll of vinyl tape instead of painting the waterline. Lots of sandbars south of St Aug between Crescent Beach and Palm Coast along the ICW, just make sure you are in a no wake zone and the bottom is firm sand or shell, not mud or muck that will trap you there. Or wait til Riviera Beach and take Capt Stu's advise about beaching near Peanut Island.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 23:11   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Buy a roll of vinyl tape instead of painting the waterline. Lots of sandbars south of St Aug between Crescent Beach and Palm Coast along the ICW, just make sure you are in a no wake zone and the bottom is firm sand or shell, not mud or muck that will trap you there. Or wait til Riviera Beach and take Capt Stu's advise about beaching near Peanut Island.

Ahh vinyl tape!

Tags
east coast, florida