Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2019, 12:29   #1

thousands of bottom blisters

I started sanding about 24 hour after haul out and found thousands of tiny blisters that start to show as the paint wears thin. I ground a few out and they don't seem to go past the gelcoat. there is only a trace of moisture in them as well. How would you recommend repairing this. its an old boat and the budget is small. I want to prevent further damage as much as possible. Part of me thinks I should leave it be and let it dry for the winter then barrier coat and repaint in the spring. It just doesn't seem possible or wirth the time to grind each spot. Thoughts?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191025_132450711.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	417.2 KB
ID:	202056
Jmstee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 12:35   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: thousands of bottom blisters

If it were mine I’d sand the whole thing down, let it dry for a bit, epoxy barrier coat, paint and go sailing.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 12:35   #3

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

If budget is small, I'd probably leave it alone, especially if the boat value isnt much.

If you do leave it to dry out over winter, youd need to pop them and then barrier coat for it to actually dry out.

If it were my boat, I'd leave them be, barrier coat and paint right before splashing and just go have fun sailing.

Do note if you pop them, you'll likely need to do a few skim coats to fair the hull smooth before barrier coating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmstee View Post
I started sanding about 24 hour after haul out and found thousands of tiny blisters that start to show as the paint wears thin. I ground a few out and they don't seem to go past the gelcoat. there is only a trace of moisture in them as well. How would you recommend repairing this. its an old boat and the budget is small. I want to prevent further damage as much as possible. Part of me thinks I should leave it be and let it dry for the winter then barrier coat and repaint in the spring. It just doesn't seem possible or wirth the time to grind each spot. Thoughts?Attachment 202056
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 12:48   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
If you do leave it to dry out over winter, youd need to pop them and then barrier coat for it to actually dry out.
The barrier coat will PREVENT the laminate from drying, I believe. Its whole point is being a barrier to water, and works in both directions.

Jim
Old 25-10-2019, 12:55   #5

Boat: 1987 Ericson 38-200

Paint blisters most likely.
drewm3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 13:00   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

This is precisely the mess we had. I hired a sand blast guy. This blew open thousands just as you see. I used a die grinder with carbide burr cutter to fair them all. I then filled and faired before 6 coats of Interprotect 2000E. This was good but tedious. Don’t mess around with tiny tools or DA sanders. I used a big right angle buffer fitted with an approximate 12 grit flexible diamond grit wheel. If I ever did this again I would rent a peeler and strip off the gel coat in a few hours. Check out my photos. PM me if you want a more in-depth description. We have had no reoccurrence of blisters.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 13:04   #7

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
The barrier coat will PREVENT the laminate from drying, I believe. Its whole point is being a barrier to water, and works in both directions.

Jim
^^^^ This exactly.
kenbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 14:09   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
thousands of bottom blisters

Depending on the value of the boat, I’d do exactly as he suggests, let it dry over Winter, then barrier coat in the spring and paint and splash.
Although ideally have it soda blasted or similar now.
It’s just in the Gel coat, and Gel coat is porous.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 14:20   #9

Quote:

Jim
I understand that but do you think that if it sits over winter it will dry enough that sealing after will be ok and prevent further osmosis?
Jmstee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 14:42   #10

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Quote:
I understand that but do you think that if it sits over winter it will dry enough that sealing after will be ok and prevent further osmosis?
Before you put the barrier coat on the hull rent or borrow a quality moisture meter.
kenbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 15:59   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Sand it now to open up the gelcoat blisters then let it sit all winter before applying a few coats of barrier.

Gelcoat blisters are a cosmetic issue and never hurt anybody. As you say, it's an older boat and not worth the effort to strip the gel and do all that epoxy fairing work.

A moisture meter is useless in this case but if you want one, the best one on the market is about $45. Learn a little about them before you use one. .....

Moisture Meter Mythology and Flir thermal imager
Old 25-10-2019, 22:30   #12

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Sand it now to open up the gelcoat blisters then let it sit all winter before applying a few coats of barrier.

Gelcoat blisters are a cosmetic issue and never hurt anybody. As you say, it's an older boat and not worth the effort to strip the gel and do all that epoxy fairing work.

A moisture meter is useless in this case but if you want one, the best one on the market is about $45. Learn a little about them before you use one. .....

Moisture Meter Mythology and Flir thermal imager
Good advice. Your are describing paint pockets, not fiberglass mat absorbtion blisters
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 22:34   #13

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:

Jim
If the OP used the aerodynamic properties of teak creatively, he could blow dry the blisters - and get his boat to be as fast as a hoovercraft.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 05:03   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

If the tiny blisters are only in the gel and not cracked open painting over mostly works. If the blisters are cracked the paint will have a difficult time sealing them. Here will be contaminants within the void of the blister. Most of ours were this way and I found telltale blue bottom paint inside most blisters as I opened them. I also found without exception that every one had at least one glass hair from the first layup of sprayed chopped glass the hair in the cracked cover of the blister. I feel this was the water wick that caused the problem. Click on my images below my avatar to follow the repair. It took about six weeks to open, fair, fill and fair the bottom. Six coats of Interprotect 2000E took two days.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 10:18   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I started sanding about 24 hour after haul out and found thousands of tiny blisters that start to show as the paint wears thin. I ground a few out and they don't seem to go past the gelcoat. there is only a trace of moisture in them as well. How would you recommend repairing this. its an old boat and the budget is small. I want to prevent further damage as much as possible. Part of me thinks I should leave it be and let it dry for the winter then barrier coat and repaint in the spring. It just doesn't seem possible or wirth the time to grind each spot. Thoughts?Attachment 202056
Barrier coat paint and forget it.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blisters