Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 07:15   #1

Boat: 1977 WESTSAIL 32 #731
This old Volvo needs a face lift...

I'm digging into this Volvo raw water cooled MD17 and boy is it rusted. I would like to know the best way (aside from pulling the motor) to get the rust treated.

I am thinking a lot of wire brushing + Ospho then paint.

Would it be stupid to replace some of the bolts with stainless? I worry about bimetallic corrosion but then again look at the rust.

This old Volvo

Im heading to the store today to get a lot of new hoses, clamps, wire brushes, de-greasers, and Ospho. Any tips are appreciated.
Abrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 14:35   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: This old Volvo needs a face lift...

What I use for steel on boats is power or hand wire brush and then paint with a cold galvanizing paint. One that has zinc. Then the paint color you want over that. Rustoleum and others sell it in spray cans. I've used it on engines, anchors, etc. That usually stops the rust for years. I come from ships and commercial fishing.
Lepke
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 14:47   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
This old Volvo needs a face lift...

I've had good luck treating with Osphosphoric acid. It converts iron oxide to iron phosphate or something, anyway it seems to stop rust pretty effectively, turn reddish brown rust into a black coating and seems to prevent further rust. Can be had at almost any auto parts store or paint store. I may have the name wrong.
Stainless steel bolts in iron seems to be OK, just use a liberal coating of anti-sieze before you install. Should do that anyway of course even with cad plated steel bolts. SS bolts are almost always weaker though, so don't use them in high strength applications
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 18:47   #4

That old Volvo looks pretty good for a 30 year old (or so) engine that has not had too much care. Spend a lot of time with the small wire brushes on an electric drill before you use the Ospho, and follow the directions on time and rinsing, and rustolium primer, or some other good metal primer, and the engine will probably out last you. To make things more dependable while you are working on it, remove the wires from the starter solenoid and polish them up, and put the kind of grease that auto parts stores sell for battery terminals, and that will stop one more possible corrosion point. For the parts that are easy to remove(air cleaners,etc) take them home or to a shop and beadblast and paint. Those are a good engine. Just my 2 cents worth. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 19:19   #5

Boat: 1977 WESTSAIL 32 #731

Thanks all,

Here is an update. Things are looking good. The boat smells like a chemical cocktail as the wind decided to shift and blow from the south. I will need a muffler but seen some fiberglass ones for about $75 at the second hand sailboat store.

todays progress/
Abrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:51   #6

Making sure your deck and cockpit area above the engine is COMPLETELY water tight will go a long way towards keeping the rust off of an engine. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift, volvo