Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2020, 15:15   #31

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50
Re: Thermoforming A Curved Acrylic Hatch

I would leave the paper on until it needs to come off. Let us know how the cold farming goes. In a previous lifetime I was a plastics engineer that worked at a Thermoforming company. I used to thermoform everything from 10 mm to 60 mm plastics Of all sorts.
SV Siren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 16:51   #32
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Holland View Post
Many thanks ER and Siren for your advice, very helpful. I do have time (I've put a temporary plywood "hatch" on the boat) so am going to try cold bending. Does it matter if the backing paper paper stays on the acrylic during cold bending? Ideally I'd like to keep it on to reduce the chances of getting sealant smeared all over the acrylic during installation. Although I imagine it would need to be removed for bending with heat, so maybe remove also for cold bending? Thanks again.
It would be ok to leave it on unless its going to be in direct sun. If its in a sunny spot, put a thin piece of constuction paper or cardboard over it to keep the sun from baking the paper on.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 19:22   #33

Boat: Cheoy Lee, Offshore 41

Thanks, I'll leave the paper on, and report back on how it goes in a couple of months or so. Thank you both for sharing your knowledge and expertise.
Jim Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:04   #34

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Quote:
It would be ok to leave it on unless its going to be in direct sun. If its in a sunny spot, put a thin piece of constuction paper or cardboard over it to keep the sun from baking the paper on.
Not only sun but heat and time can back the paper on. Once baked on, it is not coming off! (I also was/am a plastics engineer in a previous life but only up to 25 mm thick - 100 lb sheet)
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acrylic, hatch